pool pump cavitation

trukjn612

Sep 9, 2019
New Iberia, La
Hello everyone. Having an issue with my pool pump having cavitation. I removed the basket from the pump to get rid of a few leaves that were in it. Made sure the o-ring for the lid was in place and secure. Tightened down the cap. Checked the skimmer basket and cleaned it out. Vented the air from the pump strainer to release any excess air. Tightened it back down. Started pump, ran great for about 1 minute with great suction at the skimmer. Then the pump looked like it was loosing its prime and began to cavitate. I do not have any cutoff vales coming from the skimmer. Anybody have any recommendations as to what may be causing this. Thank you for your time.

Truk,

Welcome aboard! If you can fill in your signature it will help our experts get you advice quicker. To do this click on your name above right and then select "signature". Enter your pool type and size plus your equipment brands and model numbers test kit information etc. Then press "save". This info will be posted on the bottom of all future posts. This info is often needed to diagnose your problem and will often save you a cycle of questions from the experts.

Dave already gave you the two most likely causes. If your water level in the pool is mid way or higher in the skimmer, take a water hose and trickle it over your suction strainer lid. If the water level inside rises or the pump noise changes, your lid seal or lid is the problem. Clean the sealing surfaces with a wet rag, inspect and clean the o-ring then lube with pool lube and try again. If the o-ring is damaged replace it. Be careful not to stretch the o-ring when you clean it. Did you by chance remove the drain plug on the strainer? Either way make sure it's tight and you can also use the water trickle technique on it to check for air intrusion. Much less likely is the lid itself has a hairline crack. Flex it a little while holding it up to the sun to see the crack, if it's bad replace it.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.