Pool Plumbing issue

I had flex pipe cut to replace my filter sand. I primed and cement welded couplings where the cuts were made. The welded couplings on the pipe from the pump box to sand filter kept failing so i used a compression coupling (150psi). The compression coupling fails (disconnects from flex pipe) every 1 to 2 weeks. Do i need a compression coupling with a higher rated psi or need a different type of fitting? Thank you in advance!

Jeff

Hayward Sand
1hp
municipal water

Attachments

• compression coupling overview.jpg
    compression coupling overview.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 77
  • compression coupling.jpg
    compression coupling.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 77
That coupling is a compression ring system it won't hold pressure. U need to use a rigid coupling or put a schd40 union in its place. U can wiggle those out by hand not meant for pools they are mainly used for sump pumps in the Lowe's aisle

I think the coupling is for waste lines; I have one I was going to use in a household waste plumbing application. I might be wrong but believe the 150 PSI refers to the ability of the thread and rubber in holding a pipe, and not pressure.

The flexible PVC is good for the application, but hard pipe PVC 40 to the inlet and use a glued slip coupling to join to the flexible PVC; since it appears you already have a union on the pump exit, you don't need another on the filter entry. However, the post above also offers an option: I have never had a problem with running good quality pool hose and clamps from pump to filter - in this case you would need to buy a good short hose, and 2 of 1.5 inch with barbed fittings plus clamps.

Compression couplings will hold plenty of pressure, unfortunately the OP has not used the coupling correctly.

Under no circumstances should a compression coupling be used to provide any form of support to existing pipe work. They are not designed to support 'other' pipes in place.

The fact that the OP is using it on flex PVC is a no go as well - They should really only be used with hard line PVC as they really need a smooth surface for the rubber seals to seal up against correctly.

The 2 Errors above = Leaks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.