pool plaster completed, no water to fill

I’ve never owned a pool but I have a ton of neighbors that have for many years. One that had a pool installed by this company. DE filter, I’ve heard the pump run to check pressure but everything else I was going to get my neighbor to help with it

CL- 0
pH-8.5
CH-450

sorry wifey is awake And keeps bothering me

I would suggest you not worry about starting up the equipment and just check the water every day and stir in CL to maintain 3ppm.

How did you measure a pH of 8.5?

Reactions: JJ_Tex

That TA fails a reasonability check.

Please see the notes at Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool and redo the test wiping the tip between every drop and holding the bottle vertical.

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
  • Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: setsailsoon
The safety test is the smaller kit for FC and PH in the TF-100.

As AJ said, I would only focus on:
1. Testing
2. Maintaining FC levels
3. Brushing
4. Removing debris (netting out any leaves, sucking out that junk from the skimmers, etc.)

When is your PB supposed to start things up, I'm assuming this week sometime?

The TA was the test that was pink, not the pH. I will redo once I give the liquid Chlorine a chance to mix a bit. I’m new at this testing stuff so I’m sure I could have jacked the TA up a bit. It was pink and starting to darken up at drop # 40.

I will stick with the Chlorine. Sounds good!? I will leave it and run to buy a shop vac.
Start up is Tuesday afternoon. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t show.

Your pool and water will be fine until the PB gets your equipment running as long as you manually maintain 2-3ppm of chlorine. That keeps algae out of the water which you don’t want at this stage.

Reactions: kimkats
PS was today, everything is running. He was insisting on the pucks, he asked my rationale. Few questions, the CM said they would give the magenta at PS but the guy said the CM was supposed to have it. Should I wait for it or just buy and add my own, prime I can get it from amazon quick. Who knows when my CM would get it to me.
Also, I added chlorine yesterday but I’m guessing the algae ate it up, 0 and it was cloudy today. I had dead algae built up on the floor, and the water is clearing up. PS was late, but I had a chance to add some more. The guy said not to add chlorine for a few days but that doesn’t seem right. CYA was at 90, I’m guessing from fill. Added some Muriatic acid, 8.4 but he said only add a half a gallon every other day until the pH goes down. I added some chlorine, what he was saying was to not add any chlorine for a few days but couldn’t tell me why though. He said letting some algae bloom would not hurt the plaster?and to let it go.

Are you sure you are testing properly? Theres no way you have 90 CYA from fill water. Either they dumped a ton of stabilizer in pool or something is off. I would do as mas suggested and keep brushing and watering the top sides of pool until the water stabilizes and holds chlorine. Redo the CYA test and pay attention to the fill line on the bottle and the directions

PS was today, everything is running. He was insisting on the pucks, he asked my rationale. Few questions, the CM said they would give the magenta at PS but the guy said the CM was supposed to have it. Should I wait for it or just buy and add my own, prime I can get it from amazon quick. Who knows when my CM would get it to me.
Also, I added chlorine yesterday but I’m guessing the algae ate it up, 0 and it was cloudy today. I had dead algae built up on the floor, and the water is clearing up. PS was late, but I had a chance to add some more. The guy said not to add chlorine for a few days but that doesn’t seem right. CYA was at 90, I’m guessing from fill. Added some Muriatic acid, 8.4 but he said only add a half a gallon every other day until the pH goes down. I added some chlorine, what he was saying was to not add any chlorine for a few days but couldn’t tell me why though. He said letting some algae bloom would not hurt the plaster?and to let it go.

"Don't add chlorine ...
CYA of 90 on a new pool...
letting some algae bloom would not hurt the plaster..."

They have a different way of starting up a newly plastered pool then any start-up guide I have seen. You have to decide if you step back and let them do their thing for the first 4 weeks and then you take over.

You can't be trying to follow TFP Methods and their methods at the same time. It is one way or the other.

Or you can dismiss them and tell them you don't need their start-up service any longer and then follow the NPC Start-up guide and TFP Methods.

Let us know what you are doing.

I’m listening to ya’ll over the pool company. Pool school was okay, I learned a lot but I’m going to trust TFP over the PS start-up. My water is looking a lot better, it’s raining pretty hard and I’m more focused on keeping the water from overflowing. I’m draining the water from the main drain, I may run out and get a sample so I can test inside the house.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.