St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Pump is about 4 years old. I woke up this morning with it hot but not running. Pump basket was full of water and had no air in it. When I kick it on it just hums. Left it off for about 30 minutes. Same result. Just humming. Could this be a capacitor? I’m thinking capacitor / motor / pump. Where should I start? I’m trying to fix this morning so I can heat the pool up for a party this afternoon. Thanks!

Attachments

• 45156911-7956-4A61-BF49-2FCFAC790955.jpeg
    45156911-7956-4A61-BF49-2FCFAC790955.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 23
Yeah, I would assume a cap as well. Not sure about that motor, if you only have the one on top or another in the backplate. You might check, get the part numbers and hit-up Amazon Prime or some other source of your choosing. I just got a start and run cap for my motor and each was under $20. But the only way to get replacements in such short notice would be locally. Check all pool and motor repair shops, you might get lucky. Remember if you do replace the cap(s) to carefully discharge the old ones.

If you can't get the cap today, increase the FC now, start brushing all around so that you can hopefully keep the water clear.

Thanks for your help everyone. I obtained. 30/440V capacitor and it fixed it. Now 3 weeks later it’s doing the exact same thing. Everyone seems to carry the 30/370V but not the 440V. Any ideas on what is causing the premature failure? What else should I check?

I obtained. 30/440V capacitor and it fixed it. Now 3 weeks later it’s doing the exact same thing. Everyone seems to carry the 30/370V but not the 440V. Any ideas on what is causing the premature failure? What else should I check?
Starting to get deep into motor concepts now. Maybe @JamesW will have a final thought.

Yes it does get hot, but it’s in the sun and my water feature pump is just as hot so I don’t think it abnormally hot. I can grab a reading on it.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.