Pool Owner Still in Training!

Pool all freshly filled! Started chemical add yesterday.. Added 1 gal Muratic acid split in 1/2 - 4 hours apart per directions. Calcium was low so added 25lbs Calcium Hardness split between 2 doses, 4 hours apart. This morning added 46oz of Sodium Hydroclorite. 4 hours from now, will add 3lbs 13oz Cyanuric Acid in split doses 4 hours apart per directions. Plan on waiting 24 hours before retesting. Does this sound about right? Will then start testing CH & PH daily and full kit weekly.
Any idea how much chlorine I'll likely be adding daily? I'd like to stock up the liquid but not sure how much to get?

Careful with the muriatic acid. Home Depot in CA only sells the half strength one (14.5%). You want the full strength one (31.45%) I wouldn't add anything other than liquid chlorine and CYA until your test kit arrives. Once it arrives, run all the tests and post them on here and we'll fix you right up.

Reactions: Weightsnut
W,

Welcome to TFP! What a shame you've had so much trouble. Pool stores and many pool services make this way harder and more $ than it should be. My pool has been gorgeous 100% of the time and easy and cheap. I live right next to a swampy nature preserve that's trying to inoculate my pool with algae 24 hrs per day. But the pool has been perfect for five years+ using TFP methods. No water changes, no expensive potions. Just liquid chlorine, MA, CYA. Now that I've switched to SWG I only add the MA and CYA. Marty has advised hundreds (maybe thousands?) through converting pools way worse than yours to perfect pool like mine. Just get your test kit and get started. I've had my TF-100 for 5 years and gotten several refills over the years. It's a little higher $ up front to go this way but it really does look like it'll last forever.

My local pool store now has a guy that understands and cooperates with TFP people. But most others have absolutely no idea. They criticize anybody that tries to sway from their expensive potions and their advice is usually total BS. They are clearly conflicted because they make more $ selling the potions. We sell absolutely nothing. Just have a lot of experts and experienced enthusiasts that like to help people converting to the simple, cheap, perfect way to a gorgeous pool.

So get that kit buddy then follow Marty's advice. Ask any questions you have. Our goal is for you to learn the simple method and be doing it yourself with not problem. But we'll always have your back. And you'll never be dumping your pool for CYA again.

Good luck!

Chris

Pool all freshly filled! Started chemical add yesterday.. Added 1 gal Muratic acid split in 1/2 - 4 hours apart per directions. Calcium was low so added 25lbs Calcium Hardness split between 2 doses, 4 hours apart. This morning added 46oz of Sodium Hydroclorite. 4 hours from now, will add 3lbs 13oz Cyanuric Acid in split doses 4 hours apart per directions. Plan on waiting 24 hours before retesting. Does this sound about right? Will then start testing CH & PH daily and full kit weekly.
E
Careful with the muriatic acid. Home Depot in CA only sells the half strength one (14.5%). You want the full strength one (31.45%) I wouldn't add anything other than liquid chlorine and CYA until your test kit arrives. Once it arrives, run all the tests and post them on here and we'll fix you right up.
I found full strength at my local hardware store. My kit arrived and did a test with the fresh water only. Added everything in, in the stages recommended. It was a bit cloudy yesterday but ran the pump overnight and is clear this morning. I had some strips and dipped out of curiosity. Everything looks good but will use my kit this morning and get the actual numbers. I'll be sure to post them. My other goal... get back to Lowe's and stock up on the liquid chlorine. 2 gal for $6.99 10% Cheapest I've seen. Pool store was $12 Yikes

How are you testing your pool water chemistry? You definitely did not need to add any calcium increaser with the CH of your fill water.

Just my 2C real quick, the reason we don't go with Pool Store tests is they are so unreliable to be laughable (50% or more error margin). They likely are a kid on summer vacation or are intent on selling you something. In your example, the dude was "willing to comp the stabilizer"... after costing you hundreds of dollars in water by his employee's error, he is willing to chip 15$ your way... he's not looking out for anyone but himself. If you want to be able to have a trouble free pool you need to be able to get good data to make the correct decisions to maintain it.

I would not have trusted that pool store test. I suspect Sun City AZ uses primarily Colorado River water. The CH of that is 250 ppm plus.

Check your CH with your own kit.

Can you give us full test results of your pool water with your brand new test kit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After adding the Muratic Acid, Liquid chlorine. Calcium Harness, and the CYA. Here's where I landed. I wanted to be sure my test at home was close to this. I have to practice the kit a few times to get comfortable.
I would not have trusted that pool store test. I suspect Sun City AZ uses primarily Colorado River water. The CH of that is 250 ppm plus.

Check your CH with your own kit.
We are in Sun City have well water. Also, our pool water runs through our whole house system. I did use my TF kit afterwards to compare. I came up with 300 on CH.

Attachments

• 15863791454431461094463430169369.jpg
    15863791454431461094463430169369.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 9
So your fill water is run through a water softener?

What are your test results? Those in Poolmath look like Pool store tests. We do not use those for guidance.

Reactions: Casey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.