Pool overflow installation location

Jun 21, 2017
Arlingon, TX
Ok my idea of a trouble free pool would be to eliminate even the smallest of upkeeps so I am looking into getting an overflow autofill installed on a pool

Also to add the pool is in a rental house so I dont want to worry about tenants getting the water level wrong and overworking or running pumps dry

I have the first portion done the overflow install but the overflow is up too high I believe. I talked to Leslies and they mentioned that the water level needs to be two to three inches from the top of the skimmer basket then some people say it needs to be halfway up on the tile at the top of my pool. I have always heard the skimmer basket thing.

Some say that the overflow needs to be installed higher than where the actual water level is and then some say it needs to be installed right where the water level is

I am very confused so what is it? lol

dude,

I can tell you that the bottom of my overflow outlet is level with the middle of my skimmer...

I find this to be about an 1" too low for me... I have actually added a dam to the bottom of the overflow grate which allows me to fill the pool about an inch above the center of the skimmer.

I get less skimming action, but a longer interval between water refills... It does not take all that long to evaporate and an inch of water... The lower the water gets, the better skimming action you will get.

Thanks,

Jim R.

dude,

I can tell you that the bottom of my overflow outlet is level with the middle of my skimmer...

I find this to be about an 1" too low for me... I have actually added a dam to the bottom of the overflow grate which allows me to fill the pool about an inch above the center of the skimmer.

I get less skimming action, but a longer interval between water refills... It does not take all that long to evaporate and an inch of water... The lower the water gets, the better skimming action you will get.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When you are referencing skimmer are referencing two points I am assuming you are referencing that your overflow is at the midway point from the top of the skimmer basket to the ground level of your skimmer?

I am trying to understand if my overflow should be installed so the water level would always be at the correct point in an event of rain or if the purpose is just to prevent water from overflowing out of the pool.

I am getting conflicting things from too many people the pool builder says fill water to the bottom of the overflow. Leslies says fill water from the top of the skimmer basket two to three inches above that point. If leslies is right I have way too much water in the pool where this overflow is installed. If that is the case should I have the overflow moved lower.

I am just trying to make sure this job was done how it should be done.

I was thinking overflow plus autofill the idea was to always have the water level at the exact point that it should be and one could just kinda keep an eye on water level

forget leslies they are clueless. your skimmer will have an overflow port already in it that gets knocked out and a pipe installed. the basket means nothing you dont go by anything with basket in the wording. you go by the face of the skimmer that is in the pool. halway or a little higher is the right waterlevel. as Jimrahbe said its better to be a little high. when ppl do cannonballs or alot of people use the pool it will overflow from the waves in the pool, and it doesnt take long to evaporate or splash water out. I have my overflow knocked out on my skimmer and I angled my pipe up almost an inch and then down the to the drainage field. It wont drain with splashing or waves, the water has to actually get to almost the top of skimmer to drain out steady, Im ok with that I dont need much skimmer action nothing around me If I need clean top water I run pump on high speed

Dude,

There are several different types of overflows... One of them is using a hole in the back of the skimmer.. It is normally plugged and only gets knocked out when used as an overflow or fill line. The bottom of that hole (or plug) is normally right at the middle of the skimmer mouth. The skimmer basket has little or nothing to do with it...

Basically I have 6" tile at the water line. When the water is in the middle of my skimmer mouth, there is about 3" of tile above the water line and about 3" of tile below the water line.

My overflow does not use the hole in the skimmer, but I have a grate that covers an overflow pipe. The bottom the grate is about 3" below the coping and right at the water line...

Note... I would not even use the bathroom in a Leslies... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do most people get an overflow installed to make sure the water level does not go over the exact point where it needs to be as well as having water overflow out of the pool?

Here are some pictures

View attachment 86816

View attachment 86817

No, especially if you have an autofill. If you set your overflow at the exact level where you want the water level to be, which is where the autofill should be set, then you could easily end up with the autofill running perpetually and flowing straight out the overflow, wasting a huge volume of water and creating excessive water bills. You'd also end up losing some water every time anyone swims in the pool, which will then need to be refilled. I'd want the overflow level to be at least an inch above your ideal water level (which should be near the center of the skimmer door).

FWIW the first picture is useless, you want to check the water level at the skimmer opening/door, not the basket.

Is the second picture your overflow that was just installed? The location of the grate is not always linked to the water level that will flow out of it, depending on how it was plumbed. If you fill the pool, will the water level go any higher? I much prefer the idea of using the overflow port inside of the autofill pot rather than a grate in the wall, as it's totally hidden from view, and it's nearly impossible for it to get blocked/clogged. If I were going to install one in the wall with a grate like that, I'd have put it below the waterline to prevent leaves/debris from clogging it, and then set the overflow level with the rise in the plumbing behind the wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.