Pool opening

Mintypool

May 28, 2019
NJ
Hey I used this forum for the second half of last season and to close last year and had great success , I just pulled the cover off the pool and it is fairly clear just a little cloudy. Now I am looking for help on the steps for getting the filter going and then will post test results?

Cloudy means you probably have an algae bloom trying to start and a SLAM Process would be recommended. When you test your levels, pay particular attention to the CYA, pH, and FC. First adjust the pH to about 7.2. Then verify the CYA and go to the FC/CYA Levels to find your corresponding FC SLAM level. Then increase the FC to that SLAM level and follow all the instructions on that SLAM page. Good luck!

Can you give me the steps I need to do before turning the filter on. I took the plugs out of return, Gizmo out of skimmer, took plugs out of filter basket, plug on sand filter is on, put pressure gage and filter glass on. I think prime the pump basket and reseal, then turn on filter?

I don't think you need to turn on the heater. Water will just flow through it unless you have a bypass valve. Sounds like you have everything prepped and ready to go. So pre-fill the pump basket with water, put the clear lid on, make sure all 3-way valves are set to OPEN, and turn-on the pump. If you see a problem, it should be obvious. But if you have a concern let us know.

I’m trying to use pool math to figure out both. I have liquid chlorine 12.5% in 5 gallon container so a little less than 1/2 gets me to 12. For the CYA you said 10 ppm so do I put in like my CYA is 20 and try to get to 30?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I added half the 5 gallon container of 12.5% and filled a sock with 1.5 lbs of CYA powder. The sock didn’t dissolve much. Only seems to be coming out when I squeeze it. Ran pump over night
FC 19
CC 0.5
PH 8.0
Should I wait until CYA dissolves to test again?

Sorry for the multiple posts in a row, for the dirt at the bottom should I vacuum to waste or just into filter? Probably should have vacuumed to waste before I added chlorine and CYA! At this point I’m thinking just to the filter and can backwash later. Learning lessons from opening and closing pool myself but I am enjoying it.

Just caught-up of your posts. Yes, squeeze the sock often. After I let a sock set in the water for about 20 minutes, I can go out there and squeeze it and get almost most of it out of the sock in about 20-30 minutes. Your water may still be chilly though, but squeeze often and it will be fine. Vacuum all that stuff up off the floor and brush everyday during the SLAM. . Continue to run the pump 24/7 until you finish the SLAM Process. It will be fine. Low speed is fine if you have a 2-speed. Glad to hear the water looks better, but continue teh SLAM until you pass all 3 criteria. That's very important.

So since it was 19 this morning and 12 now should I add chlorine or leave it at 12 and test again in the morning?
During the SLAM Process, you ideally want to "maintain" that SLAM FC level as best as you can all the time. Of course some things may take you away from the pool for a while like work or sleeping, etc, but you get the idea. The consistent/elevated FC level, together with your daily routine of brushing, inspecting, cleaning the filter, etc, will help make the SLAM Process more efficient.

Reactions: Mintypool
If you don't have debris in the water, vacuuming to waste will just waste water. Vacuuming to the filter catches it and gets it out of circulation. Brush after you vacuum and keep the SLAM going. :thumleft:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.