Pool opening water chemistry

Jun 7, 2015
Wamego/KS
I just replaced my vinyl liner and refilled pool to start this season. Just tested my water and am getting some off the charts high readings for alkalinity and calcium hardness.
FC is 1
PH is 7.2
CH is 2500
ALK is 2200
CYA is 0
I will add stabilizer to increase CYA, add baking soda to increase PH and will add proper amount of liquid chlorine to start slam. Have never had to mess with calcium hardness or alkalinity. Should I concentrate on getting FC, PH and CYA regulated now then worry about the others later? Should calcium hardness even be a concern for me? How concerned should I be about the ALK?

So you counted 220 drops of R0009 reagent for the TA?

And 100 drops of the R0012 for the CH?

Ok…after re-reading my original message that I unfortunately typed without my glasses and outside in the sun. I realize I added an extra 0 on the CH and TA. TA is 220, which is still much higher than it’s ever been. CH I guess is good. For some reason, I was thinking it should be no higher than 100.
So for TA should I just get the slam done and CYA up to 70 and recheck it at that point?

Only raise the CYA to 30 ppm until you can pass a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

The TA will moderate as you add acid to keep pH in the 7's. IF the TA is that high, the pH will rise quickly. Test pH daily.

The CH is of no consequence as you have a vinyl liner pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support