pool opening pump priming

Jul 19, 2011
Northern NJ
its my first time managing my pool opening. How long might it take for my (hayward) pump to prime? I have removed plugs from skimmer and return. plug has been removed from inside of pump basket. drain plugs have been replaced in pump basket. I have filled the pump basket with water (twice).

the level of water in the pool is not yet at halfway up the skimmer, but i have put the hose directly into the skimmer. There is no evidence that water is going from the bottom of the skimmer to the return.

Do i just need to wait longer? so far i have waited about 4 minutes at the longest, but don't want to have the pump flame out.

Related question-- shown below are the (blue) levers attached to my pool piping. My assumption is that when the blue levers are parallel to the pipes beneath, that they are fully open, and when they are perpendicular, they are fully closed. initially i had them fully parallel, then (in case I've got this 100% wrong) i moved them to a 45 degree angle as shown in the picture.

there are no labels on the levers/pipes, but i believe the one on the right is water coming from the main drain, while the left is water coming from the skimmer.

any feedback helpful. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_094358 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200531_094358 (1).jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 4
Mine takes about 6-7 minutes if it’s starting from scratch.

Did you check and make sure all plugs are in place? Lubricate the o-ring on the pump lid?

IceShadow. Thank you. Pump is primed. I was not being patient enough. Also now i know that 'parallel' is open, and perpendicular is closed.

i did not yet lubricate the o ring but that comes in the mail next week.

There is now water coming out of the top of the (hayward) filter where there is a screw on valve, i guess i would call it a release value. is this normal? at first it was air, which I took as a good sign. water seems not right.

many thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.