Pool on top of water line??? 🤷🏻‍♀️

madisonmama

May 16, 2022
Madison, GA
We have just discovered that there a water line running right where we plan on placing our above ground pool. Because of how far down we had to dig due to the slope of our yard, the waterline will now sit just a couple of inches underneath the pool. Would there be any problem doing this ASIDE from the fact that we may need to have access to the water line? It’s an 8000 gallon 20’ above ground pool. Pic for reference. DBC81CD4-0815-4159-9B31-6B8F645613D5.jpegDB909D74-A1C9-4842-BB40-AA5E494A73C6.jpeg

Leaving a water line underneath a pool is obviously wrong. So I’m taking your question as if it something you can get away with….

Assuming that is a Schedule 40 pipe or equivalent…
I can imagine 3 risks to the water line:
1- Added pressure due to pool weight. That should not be enough to burst the pipe alone.
2- Added pressure over rocks in contact to the pipe could damage the pipe
3 - Depending on your climate the pipe may be more likely to freeze and burst

The risks to the pool of the water line fail/break will range to damage to the liner to wall failure depending on where the pipe bursts.

If that was my pool I’d move the water line disturbing a little as possible the area where you will install the pool.

Reactions: madisonmama
Agreed, I'd move it and backfill any of the disturbed land under the pool with gravel. While it adds cost to the build, it's cheaper than having to demo after the fact to fix a leak!

Reactions: madisonmama
this particular waterline has sprung a leak twice in the past five years, I am assuming due to the fact our home is 60+ years old, and that was one of my concerns with covering up the waterline with the pool.

You can see coupling and repairs to the water line.

I would take this as an opportunity to move the water line and run new potable water PVC properly buried and then the line should be problem free for many years to come.

Agreed, I'd move it and backfill any of the disturbed land under the pool with gravel. While it adds cost to the build, it's cheaper than having to demo after the fact to fix a leak!
We’re going to trench in a new line and solve this problem. We should fill in the hole with gravel, not the dirt we dig out? I’m guessing that is because gravel with hold up better than trying to get the loose soil tamped back down ??? Just wanted to clarify 🙂

We’re going to trench in a new line and solve this problem. We should fill in the hole with gravel, not the dirt we dig out? I’m guessing that is because gravel with hold up better than trying to get the loose soil tamped back down ??? Just wanted to clarify 🙂
You need to fill the whole with something that won’t first get compact with time. Something like stone dust (frequently used underneath pavers). What is that gray stuff you are already using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crush and run gravel. I was assuming we could just use that.
Let’s say gravel is not the best for the longevity of your AGP. You should build the structural parts over bare undisturbed ground and use mason sand without pebbles in the inside. Blocks of concrete only to support the columns.

There are alternative ways to assemble AGPs, but you won’t see people recommending them here because they will usually void your warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.