Pool not line straight

alvindo

Apr 18, 2024
maryland
Pool builder has finished backfilling pool and the one side is line straight but the other side is off by about a half inch in the middle. I
They admitted when they lifted it it, they didn’t have the right sized bracing in it at first and then raced to fix it. PB owner is like yeah we need to fix it. His brother who actually does the work, and is really great to work with said they’ve done all they can do and it’s the mold from San Juan. I don’t think it’s how San Juan makes the molds and I think it buckled some when they lifted it.

My question is how concerned should I be about it being line straight? We’re having brick paver coping and I’m worried that’s going to show a curve. We also are having an aquamatic auto cover put in and I’m worried about the tracks not being straight. Anyone have any thoughts?

I don’t see any cracks. The top is a little scratched up but I was never worried about that, it’s tough to tell about cracks down the sidewall thou because the water is so dirty.
Have them lift that pool back out and get it replaced the cracks will start to show after a couple months and it will be too late you will be on the hook 100k redo of your yard.

From the pic you posted, am I to assume the "not in a straight line" issue is that the shell is tilted or bowed from end to end? Or is it pushed in sideways? At first I thought it was a wall thing from the side (bowed in or out), but the pic tells me otherwise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To be honest, while I see a very slight bow "in" it's not that bad. Not sure what tolerance or variance is allowed on the shell, but we've certainly seen much worse. I would be curious to know if those braces are still attached. If not, did the position of the bow remain the same or did it go inward more? Dave brings up a good question. The shell doesn't look pristine new.

It’s new. It got delivered from San Juan in late November and then sat at the builders nursery until April. When it arrived it had no holes in it. I do admit the outside edges are beat to heck, but I figured that will be covered up by the coping.

Braces are still attached. It hasn’t gotten any better or worse since they set the pool. When they first tried to lift it, they said they didn’t have the right size braces and they only had two. Then they went to three. I have a bad feeling they lifted it without the right bracing and that made it buckle.

I agree it’s not that bad and you really have to put the string on it to see it. The builder said they could try and dig out the stone and try and spread that section out. My concern is that’s the side with the plumbing and the cure might be worse than the disease.

It looks as if it’s bowed due to not filling the pool up and backfilling properly. Your going to have major issues. Do you what they used to backfill? It appears it is bowing at your skimmer basket too if there’s more movement at that location I would fear leaks rather soon. Address this before the collar is laid

Last edited:
Reactions: alvindo
My concern is that’s the side with the plumbing and the cure might be worse than the disease.
That is a tough call for sure. It's not that bad, and you would think (hope) the water should keep the shell from trying to move inwards from the weight of the backfill. But it's an investment and you want things right. Tell you what, let's call on someone who went through this very issue (much worse though) to get another perspective and opinion. @Casey what would you do?

It looks as if it’s bowed due to not filling the pool up and backfilling properly. Your going to have major issues. Do you what they used to backfill? It appears it is bowing at your skimmer basket too if there’s more movement at that location I would fear leaks rather soon. Address this before the collar is laid
We used small clean gravel as the backfill except for the tanning ledge which is flowable fill. The bow was there when it got sat in the ground. They were really good about keeping the water and backfill at the same spot.

I had outward bowing which is much easier to remedy than what you have. You have inward bowing. There's only so much the builder can do to fix it and it is probably due to the mold. When my pool was delivered, you could see the bowing from the flatbed trailer it was sitting on. These pools are flexible and even if they lifted it with 2 braces, I don't see any huge glaring issues, especially if there are no signs of stress cracks aka spider cracking. Honestly, the inward bow is a bear to fix compared to the outward where you could use stone and a 2x4 for leverage to fix it. If this is the worst thing you could deal with and the builders have done everything to fix it, count your blessings.

I had outward bowing which is much easier to remedy than what you have. You have inward bowing. There's only so much the builder can do to fix it and it is probably due to the mold. When my pool was delivered, you could see the bowing from the flatbed trailer it was sitting on. These pools are flexible and even if they lifted it with 2 braces, I don't see any huge glaring issues, especially if there are no signs of stress cracks aka spider cracking. Honestly, the inward bow is a bear to fix compared to the outward where you could use stone and a 2x4 for leverage to fix it. If this is the worst thing you could deal with and the builders have done everything to fix it, count your blessings.
thank you, and everyone for responding, the pool builder installed the same model from San Juan last year and it had the same issue. That pool seems to be fine. At this point I’m leaning towards leaving it as is. There are definitely no signs of cracking anywhere on it. My only concern is that the peak of the bow is where the one skimmer is. But you’re right if we get to the end of this pools life and that’s the only issue, I’ll count my blessings.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support