Pool newbie, Intex 16'x8'x42" -- chlorine smell or lack thereof (thread retitled)

Jun 8, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Pool newbie, Intex 16'x8'x42" -- chlorine smell or lack thereof (thread retitled)

Hello, everyone!

I am new to this forum, and new to pool ownership. Over the past few days, I've been reading from the Pool School articles and through many of the threads in this forum.

It's been an eye-opener, and I have been learning a lot about water chemicals and keeping pool water clear. I know a lot of people locally that have pools -- but their ideas about how to maintain pools vary wildly. I'm hoping the collective knowledge here can help evaluate the various opinions and help me come up with a manageable pool treatment plan.

Current situation:

I'm the new owner of an Intex 16' x 8' x 42" Prism Frame Pool (link) with vinyl liner. Came with pump and 'paper' filter. Assembled it in our backyard on Saturday, May 27th, filled it with ~3,300 gal of tap water by the following morning. Immediately after filling and before chemicals, ran a water sample over to our local Leslie's (accounts I've read here of being "pool stored" made my heart sink :( ).

Here were the Sunday, May 28th water figures - thanks to Pool School and many threads here for drilling the abbreviations into my skull. Water was room temperature by the time I got it to Leslie's:

FC - 0 parts per million (ppm)
TC - 0 ppm
CH - 150 ppm
CYA - 0 ppm
TA - 70 ppm
pH - 7.2
Phosphates - 100 parts per billion (making clear that's no typo)
Copper, Iron, and Total Dissolved Solids were all 0.

Leslie's gave me a nice printout of the water figures (hope they're accurate :-| ) and a list of recommended chemicals. OK. So before I left the store, I bought:

a) the Leslie's brand Alkalinity Up, er, baking soda;
b) their Instant Pool Water Conditioner (Cyanuric acid must come out of this stuff, but what else? Who knows?);
c) a one-pound bag of their Chlor Brite (di-chlor); and
d) a jug of their Perfect Weekly additive (wish I could find out what was in that stuff :-| )

I already had three 3" HTH 4-in-1 tri-chlor pucks from an earlier Home Depot trip -- and a floater for the pucks. Figured I was ready to roll.

So, it's still Sunday, May 28. 10:30 a.m. 1/2 lb (=16 fl oz, most of an 18 oz Solo cup) of the baking soda go into the pool. Broadcast while walking the perimeter. I stir the baking soda around with a pool net after. Next, three 3" tri-chlor pucks go into the floater and left to do their thing. Filter is running the entire time.

About 3 p.m., a half-gallon of the Instant Pool Water Conditioner goes in ... walked it around the perimeter again and dribbled it out little by little (no skimmer, didn't know about tying up a sock). <<< we snuck in a hour-or-so swim about 6-ish>>> Right after sunset (8-ish), half of that 1 lb bag (= 8 fl oz, coincidentally) of di-chlor goes in, broadcast the same way, walking it around the perimeter of the pool plus throwing some to the middle. Filter stays on continuously from Sunday morning through Monday close to sunset (~36 hrs).

Monday, May 29th. Memorial Day. Enough time for a late-morning swim (1 adult, 2 kids for about 90 minutes), then the rains begin. :( The rain continues all week long, and there is not much sun. Overcast days and plenty of showers. My son got in the pool once during the week, for about an hour. Dutifully, I run out every morning to turn the filter on, and then go back out in the evening to turn it off (I understand it shouldn't typically run 24/7?). I do nothing whatsoever with water testing, chemicals, filter cleaning ... nothing at all. At this point, I'm still thinking that the pucks are doing the job. And hey -- the pool smells great (for what that's worth) and looks nice and clear, rain notwithstanding.

Fast forward to the morning of Sunday, June 4. Still overcast and showery. I remove the filter for the first time (stock Intex pool filter, size A), thoroughly hose it off (looks pretty clean!), put it back in, and turn the pump on. Then I add in the first dose of Leslie's Perfect Weekly (shrug) and the remaining half-pound of di-chlor (yep -- I added chlorine early in the morning. Didn't know at the time). Late that afternoon, there is a break in the rain, and me and my son swim for about an hour.

Monday, June 5. Another sunless rainy day. Filter still going on and off like clockwork, haven't missed a day. No one swims.

Tuesday, June 6. Overcast morning, but no rain. The tri-chlor tablets are now about the size of Ritz crackers. Pool still looks great. It's sunny by about 2 p.m. We go swimming that evening for about 90 minutes.

Wednesday, June 7. Nice and sunny outside, all day. I discover TFP's Pool School online, and get to reading the articles there regarding pool chemistry. I also start checking out this forum, and look for threads about water chemistry and about Intex pools. I start to have sinking feeling once I realize I've done no testing of the water since the day I filled it. Also, I learn about the issues of accumulating CYA and how too much flubs up the chlorine efficacy :-|. Leslie's had a suggested re-test date of Sunday 6/11. I want to see what is up with my pool water and make sure it is not screwed up. So, after an hour swim, I collect another pool water sample and go to Leslie's in the late afternoon and have them run another water test. The results:

FC - 7 parts per million (ppm)
TC - 7 ppm
CH - 110 ppm (they try to sell me Hardness Plus to raise this. I read some Pool School, noted my vinyl liner, and refuse)
CYA - 50 ppm
TA - 70 ppm
pH - 7.2
Phosphates - 250 parts per billion (they sell me their PhosFree to knock this level down. I buy it :mad: )
Copper, Iron, and Total Dissolved Solids were still 0
Water temp was 70F after a 15-min drive

So I check those figures against Pool School's Chlorine/CYA chart, and see that things are looking good (assuming Leslie's test #s are good :-| ). Leslie's staff seemed to reflexively think an FC of 7 ppm was an issue, but with a CYA of 50, that seems to be actually OK.

I am realizing now that I am going to have to address chlorine very soon. I look at the laundry bleach I have in my home, and I am not sure it will do the trick. Concentrated 8.25%, local store brand. Date on bottle is from November 2016. Might be better than nothing, but I haven't tried it yet. Still no water test kit, either.

Thursday, June 8th. Another sunny day chewing up chlorine. Did nothing to pool except filter turn-on/turn-off. Thought FC might have needed to come down, so I talked myself out of adding in the bleach without doing more research first. Two main things that I pored over yesterday was the Pool School's Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools and the 2009 thread that seemed to be the genesis of that particular Pool School article. Meanwhile, my son and I swam yesterday evening for over two hours.

So here I am today. I feel the need to get my water tested at Leslie's yet again. Need to see where the water is at. So weird ... their system is to only test every two weeks or something like that. I read here that people test their water every day. I ask around locally, and a lot of people barely ever test ... they just leave tri-chlor pucks in their pool all summer, replenishing them as they dissolve. I've seen some people's pool with algae blooms -- and now, I assume that they've over-relied on the ever-popular tri-chlor pucks, got their CYA too high, and then BLOOM! I guess people just drain and start over or something, because you go back to those same pools a week or two later, and the algae is gone.

OK. So after work today, and after another water test at Leslie's, I am off to find an HTH 6-in-1 testing kit (or similar) and some basic bleach or liquid chlorine (Leslie's had none Wednesday ... thought for sure I'd find it there). Can't fight the feeling that I've gotten lucky so far -- the pool still looks and smells great today. The tri-chlor pucks, even after 11 days, are not 100% gone but they're very close.

So, basic questions -- I can't futz around with the chlorine much longer, can I? And with a CYA already at 50, I shouldn't touch tri-chlor pucks again, right? Would more di-chlor be OK, or no (also has CYA issues, right?)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who made it through this wall of text :D I have a great impression of this community just from reading through the first several threads, and hope to learn much more about pool maintenance going forward.

Re: Pool newbie, Intex 16'x8'x42" -- have my first 12 days of maintenance been OK?

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Have you ordered a test kit yet (I might have missed it)? If not order a TF100 teSt kit today.

You are lucky in two ways, first you don't have a swamp to clear and second you have a very small pool. It's easy to dump some/all the water to fix problems.

Consider teh money spent on all the stuff you bought a knowledge tax. It's a reminder of how things can go bad.

You are correct, if you keep your water no more dichlor or tabs. Liquid bleach only. Check out [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]to see how much to keep in the pool with your current CYA.

No more pool store unless you enjoy their engaging conversation and wonderful way of getting into your bank account....

Re: Pool newbie, Intex 16'x8'x42" -- have my first 12 days of maintenance been OK?

Thanks for the reply, Tim!

No more pool store unless you enjoy their engaging conversation and wonderful way of getting into your bank account....

What really disappointed me on my last visit was them not carrying liquid chlorine. I will find some somewhere ... pools are very popular around here, and someone has to be selling it somewhere. For the short term, I'll score some plain-Jane bleach sans additives.

So after work today, and after another water test at Leslie's, I am off to find an HTH 6-in-1 testing kit (or similar) and some basic bleach or liquid chlorine (Leslie's had none Wednesday ... thought for sure I'd find it there).

Looks like for the immediate term, Wal-Mart is going to be my go-to for most supplies. Got the HTH 6-way test and some 10% liquid chlorine yesterday evening. Came home and did a water test straight away:

FC: Don't think this can test FC separate from TC (?). Hoping my CC is at 0 as Leslie's found Wednesday 6/7.
TC: Reader's yellow shades max out at 5 ppm (hmm). Using pure pool water, I got a shade of yellow easily darker than the 5 ppm shade with my initial test. Did the test a second time with 50% pool/50% tap water mix -- this showed a concentration of 3 (actually, perhaps a bit deeper yellow than 3).
PH: Somewhere around 7.2-7.4. I had forgotten to mention in the OP that I added 4 cups (32 oz) of baking soda to the pool Thursday morning. Perhaps helping raise the PH some.
TA: 160 (16 drops x 10)
CYA: 60-70. The dot was about almost completely occluded at 60 and didn't look a ton different at 70. I read in another thread that you're not supposed to stare lovingly at the dot until you can make it out ... you're supposed to give it a quick glance (right?). Using the 'quick glance' method, that dot was gone at 60.

So ... looks like the Wednesday evening Leslie's water test wasn't too far off. Still prefer to do tests myself, though -- more convenient and with only one person doing the testing, it should be more consistent in execution.

Based on the findings above, and based on the FC/CYA Chart in Pool School ... I wanted to raise the FC/TC to 8 ppm from an apparent 6 pm. PoolMath said add just over 8 oz of the 10% bleach to my 3300 gal pool to get that extra 2 ppm. I did that right at sunset with the filter still running since the morning. Poured the bleach in right at the jet shooting water from the filter/pump into the pool ... poured it in nice and slow. Turned off the filter an hour later.

Will check TC and PH levels this evening ... hoping all is good. Pool continues to look and feel great. Not seeing/feeling any subtle trouble signs in the water itself.

You have just discovered the problem with 5 way/6 way test kits, they are limited to testing chlorine up top 5 ppm. Additionally, the combine FC and CC to the total chlorine you are seeing. When you get a reading you will not know if it is all FC, all CC or something in between.

With your size pool yo can follow these instructions Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Thought this recent TFP post was interesting: Chlorine levels high and not dropping because of a high CYA level

Glad I found that, because I was really, really wondering why my FC (and I guess TC?) was just about holding steady ... or dropping very slowly. I realize that I might have more CYA in the pool than usual, but I'm reading so much about people losing 2 ppm (or more) over the course of one sunny day. Is slow chlorine loss problematic in and of itself? Or is it OK just as long as the pool owner is aware of the CYA level and the according FC/CYA levels as suggested in Pool School?

For now, I am going to test water every evening ... but I am thinking I may soon get into enough a groove that I'll be able to test only every other day. And maybe add bleach every other day as well? But for now: test every day and see how the levels move.

A textbook example of pool-stored.

attachment.php

Here's something else to ponder.... if CH is 100 ppm, TA is 70 ppm and CYA is 50 ppm, how can it be possible for TDS to be zero? They just told you that you have at least 220 ppm dissolved in there!

All things considered, I'd say you got off light. Most people let the store gouge them for years before they wise up.

All things considered, I'd say you got off light. Most people let the store gouge them for years before they wise up.

Found this forum relatively quickly, thankfully.

You know what got me on the road to enlightenment? I wanted to find out exactly what was in the stuff I bought from Leslies's on that first trip. Looking into their conditioner, I ran across the curious term "cyanuric acid" and got curious about what that was and what it did. Off to Google. Lots of TFP forum posts and Pool School articles popped up. All downhill sledding from there :D

(Still haven't found what's in their Perfect Weekly, except that it seems to have their PhosFree in it. And some "enzymes". Still digging into that)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Good job on finding this forum.

You stated several times the pool smelled 'good'. My pool does not smell. A pool that is properly managed does not smell. If you smell chlorine - that is not good. That is CC that is burning off from killing organics in your pool.

Take care.

You stated several times the pool smelled 'good'. My pool does not smell. A pool that is properly managed does not smell. If you smell chlorine - that is not good. That is CC that is burning off from killing organics in your pool.

Thanks for the reply, and for picking up on that statement.

I should probably say the pool water smells "right" to be clearer. I can pick up a chlorine scent from up close, but the scent doesn't fill the entire backyard or anything like that. Some of my friends' and family's pools ... you can readily smell the chlorine standing a good 10-12 feet from the pool.

I find a slight hint of chlorine to smell "good". A straight whiff from the 10% bleach bottle? Not so good :suspect: That "standing across the backyard and still smelling pool chlorine" smell is in-between in intensity, but always gave me pause because I thought it caused eye burning and clothes bleaching. Usually, I'd get in the pool anyway, though :paddle:

For a point of reference: with my pool right now, I smell nothing in my backyard until I am standing at the side of the pool with my head craned over the water. Then I can pick up a light chlorine scent. No doubt that organics are falling in my water all the time -- some mosquitos and other bugs, some leaves and twigs. And of course, whatever organics me and my family are leaving behind.

Whether that amount of scent is an issue or not, I am not sure. Will keep up with the water testing in the meantime.

You have just discovered the problem with 5 way/6 way test kits, they are limited to testing chlorine up top 5 ppm. Additionally, the combine FC and CC to the total chlorine you are seeing. When you get a reading you will not know if it is all FC, all CC or something in between.

Yes, indeed -- going to be getting a TF or Taylor testing kit soon. At least the 6-way test is a good training-wheels set, it seems. And while not 100% on the money, total-chlorine testing of a 50/50 pool/tap mix will at least let me make sure that our pool is not at shock level or something.

Just now did three chlorine tests, a pH test, and TA test after a 90-minute swim with three people in the pool:

TC - >5 (pure pool), 3 (50/50 pool/tap), >1/<2 (25/75 pool/tap, which can only be approximate)
PH - between 7.2 and 7.4 ... really close to 7.4.
TA - holding firm at 160

Very close to my test figures from yesterday evening. I added the 8 oz of liquid chlorine last night that I needed to raise TC 2 ppm. So, early results seem to be that a cup a day is going to essentially be maintenance level if I keep any further CYA out of the pool (which I intend to).

TC - >5 (pure pool), 3 (50/50 pool/tap)
PH - between 7.2 and 7.4 ... really close to 7.4.
TA - holding firm at 160

Similar levels with Sunday evening's test. Tested OTO twice: 100% and 50/50 pool/tap. My spidey sense is that the TC evening readings are lowering very slowly over the three rounds of testing since Friday -- but I'm still new to this.

Also, the pH is pretty definitively at 7.4 now. TA is consistent. CYA, measured Thursday 6/10, should still be ~60, right? Splashed some water out over the last few days, and had maybe two hours of light rain yesterday.

At the moment, the pool is just this side of scentless, even while leaning over the pool's edge. Fingers crossed.

Yesterday morning and this morning -- I am not picking up a chlorine smell at all. I add enough bleach every evening to raise the TC level 2 ppm (per PoolMath).

Late yesterday afternoon, after two people swimming about an hour ... I could smell chlorine on them and their suits/towels when they came back into the house. I may feel safe in assuming that smell was from chloramines produced after the free chlorine got to work on the organics that those two swimmers' introduced?

Re: Pool newbie, Intex 16'x8'x42" -- chlorine smell or lack thereof (thread retitled)

Yes. Sweat, etc creates chloramines when they get into the pool. I never get a whiff of chlorine, even on my suit. So I think if you could get a FAS-DPD test kit so that you are more closely monitoring your FC it might clean things up.

Take care.

After a few more weeks have gone by ... I finally see (smell?) what you mean. These days, I can't pick even a trace of chlorine from the pool water. I thought the smell was faint a few weeks ago, but now it is totally gone. Can still pick up a hint of chloramines (presumably) on swimsuits and towels after getting out, but that's it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.