Chlorine levels high and not dropping because of a high CYA level

May 9, 2016
Fremont/NH
This is my second time opening my pool and this year, unlike last, I had pool water delivered to refill to the correct level of my above ground pool. When starting the SLAM process, I added a little too much CYA and a lot too much chlorine. The FC level has since dropped down to around 12-13, but it is going slowly (dropping only about 1 ppm every couple days). The CYA level is at about 60-70, which is contributing to the slow drop in FC. I am looking forward to opening the pool for swimming this weekend, and hope that there might be an answer out there as to how to lower the chlorine level?

Thanks,
Dossc04

There is no need to actively lower the FC level.

Have you completed the SLAM process by passing the 3 criteria?

Note it is safe to swim up to the SLAM FC level for your CYA ... you are well under that now so your water is less harsh than you would find at an unstabilized public pool.

You need to refer to the FC/CYA chart that shows you your SLAM level for CYA of 70, which is 28ppm FC. It is safe to swim *up to SLAM level*.

So your FC is 12-13, that's a lot less than 28, so you can swim anytime!

The FC will go down even faster once you start swimming.

[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.