Pool newbie hoping to upgrade filter

Jun 29, 2017
Boston, MA
Hi everyone!
I'm a very new member to the forum. Last year was my first year trying to maintain a pool. It's just a intex metal frame 15x48. I used the forum and the TFP methodology to maintain my pool last season and it worked out splendidly! So thanks everyone! The only drag was replacing the cartridges in the filter that came with the pool. This year we decided to upgrade. I know from researching on here that ALMOST anything is possible with a little surgery and creative plumbing. We have purchased the intex Krystal clear sand filter 2800/gph 14-in.
My husband is an avid DIYer and comfortable with plumbing, but before the frustration sets in this weekend when we try to complete the upgrade. I'm here hoping to get some advice! Or links to helpful tutorials! !
Extra materials I need to purchase?
Also ive seen many upgrades using the addition of a thru wall skimmer. Is that the way to go? If so recommendations?
Sorry for the long post really any advice would be appreciated!
-Kelley

Just make sure you put the filter where the hoses will reach both the intake and return easily. I made a mistake and put the filter full of sand a little too far away, but I used a PVC hose connector to link two intex hoses to reach. Good thing the pump came with it's own hoses, so I had two extra from the original pool filter. I used one of the extras for my lengthening concoction and use the other one as a backwash hose. you're going to love the sand filter, it was pretty easy to set up.

As to skimmer I don't even use the one that came with the pool. I get some leaves from a nearby tree but I just throw in my vacuum to pick them up off the floor and use a flat skim net to get the ones on the surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.