Looking to Replace Filter

mt hwy

Dec 27, 2022
SW Florida
I have an inground pool approx 13’ x 30’ x 4‘ average depth, then there are steps. The equipment appears older - the filter housing is a Sta-Rite Posi-Flo II, takes a canister filter. The housing leaks a fair amount where the upper and lower halves join. The clamp can’t be tightened any more. I’d like to upgrade the entire filter housing with something basic but effective and good quality, and I assume another canister filter style - unless I’m convinced otherwise. SW Florida, pool open all year.D34F046E-B6A4-4F52-80A3-5B1CAA912969.jpeg

I bet if you went to most FL subdivisions and threw a rock in any direction, you would hit a Hayward C-1200 or similar version single-cart filter. Not sure why that is in FL, but we see it all the time. Of course there are exceptions, but many in that area have a single cart filter. I do too here in TX, but that was before I knew any better. It's really a personal choice though. You could upgrade to a 4-cart filter which would require less cleaning, but costs more and has a larger footprint on the pad, so you would have to expand it a bit. I prefer cartridge filters myself, but to each their own.

So really your call. If you go with a newer cart filter, Hayward, Pentair, etc, they all have them. You will have to do some minor PVC work to get the lines to marry-up to the new filter, but that's an easy DIY project on the weekend. :cheers:

I would appreciate any suggestions on make/model/DIY tips? It appears there are glued 2” joints leading up to and out of the housing. Not sure how the PVC attaches to the housing - threaded that I can’t see?
Pipes are threaded into that old (tiny) dinosaur. Looks like 100 sq. ft., maybe 135.
Aquastar makes the PLF3500 that is slightly larger than what you have now in terms of footprint, but is 250sq.ft. of filtration cartridge. Should be no big problem making it fit. Have installed one and was quite impressed with the quality. At present, replacement cartridges are a good price as well.

Thanks guys. A friend off line recommended a Hayward C1750 which I believe uses a 175 sq ft cartridge, and to use pipe unions - I assume for easy install and then any subsequent removal of the entire unit, which I hope won’t be for a long time …. If you have any thoughts on that model Hayward? .. and is using unions on the install standard? … none on there currently

Thanks guys. A friend off line recommended a Hayward C1750 which I believe uses a 175 sq ft cartridge, and to use pipe unions - I assume for easy install and then any subsequent removal of the entire unit, which I hope won’t be for a long time …. If you have any thoughts on that model Hayward? .. and is using unions on the install standard? … none on there currently
Not a bad filter and still sticks to the Florida standard (tiny filters). If you go that route, get hi-temp pump unions. Will save two glue joints per port and are a more robust fitting.

Also, I have not cut into of the plumbing on this system. I'm assuming standard PVC pipe is used, correct? Is it typically Schedule 40 or 80, or what? And, any particular glue to use - standard PVC cement, or I believe they make one that the lawn irrigation system guys use, or something else? Purple primer or something else? Sorry for al the questions - just trying to line up everything before I travel to perform this job, and I want to do it right - and last for a long time.

Get the largest cartridge filter you can afford.

For some reason, FL pool builders use tiny, undersized filters. With a larger filter, you will need to clean the cartridge(s) less frequently. Your 10k-12k pool would be better served with a larger cartridge filter.

I have a 12,300 gallon pool with a Pentair CCP420 filter and only need to clean it yearly.

Is it typically Schedule 40
That's most common.

particular glue to use
You can use the standard 2-part purple primer and clear glue, or some like poolman I believe use an all-in-one blue glue made for pool applications. I don't recall the name though, he may reply to confirm.

Ask all the questions you need to. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The label on the old Sta-Rite filter housing states 100 sq ft filter area. I assume it’s original install, probably from sometime in the ‘90’s. It’s finally time for me to replace … looks to be approx $1,000, more or less, I’ll do it myself, and double the filter area - more or less! … depending on what I go with

Went with a Hayward 1750, cost was $850 online delivered to my house, plus high temp unions, and various PVC. Easy install - basically a PVC cut and glue job. It works well enough. The pump used to sound like it a had a slight cavitation with the old filter, now it has smoothed out - sounds way better. And the spillover flow is better. Better all around

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.