kohlzor

Apr 25, 2020
Shrewsbury, MA
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi,
My sta rite motor started leaking and doing some research it seems to be the motor shaft seal. Is this something I should be able to do on my own it’s almost impossible to get someone to come out this season as everyone is backed up with projects. Looking at the condition of the motor I may be better off replacing it but that has its own challenges.
5DCDFC1A-7DED-4571-B85C-33114EC12953.jpeg

I changed the seal but the leak persists. I found a small crack on the pump and used some epoxy to seal it but not sure if it’s the cause of the leak regardless motor is still leaking. I am ok with replacing the pump and motor. The pool store mentioned I have to get a Jandy since other brands won’t talk to my iAquaLink. They can get a Hayward pump motor but said automation wouldn’t work. Is this true? Picture of crack below not sure how this happened

Attachments

• 56F78113-DEE4-4829-A8EE-798394E9A2CA.jpeg
    56F78113-DEE4-4829-A8EE-798394E9A2CA.jpeg
    554.8 KB · Views: 16

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I changed the seal but the leak persists. I found a small crack on the pump and used some epoxy to seal it but not sure if it’s the cause of the leak regardless motor is still leaking. I am ok with replacing the pump and motor. The pool store mentioned I have to get a Jandy since other brands won’t talk to my iAquaLink. They can get a Hayward pump motor but said automation wouldn’t work. Is this true? Picture of crack below not sure how this happened

I think that motor is single speed? If so then you can swap it out with just about any single speed or 2 speed motor (a 2 speed motor will need a special 2 speed relay). The problem is if you want a variable speed motor and want to control the speeds through the aqualink app, then you will need something compatible to the iAqualink. Most variable speed motors have a user control box right on the motor which you can adjust the speeds manually anyway.

I have it this way. My aqualink just turns on the pump (vgreen motor) and the speeds are adjusted on the pump to my liking. It all works fine.

Reactions: kohlzor
I think that motor is single speed? If so then you can swap it out with just about any single speed or 2 speed motor (a 2 speed motor will need a special 2 speed relay). The problem is if you want a variable speed motor and want to control the speeds through the aqualink app, then you will need something compatible to the iAqualink. Most variable speed motors have a user control box right on the motor which you can adjust the speeds manually anyway.

I have it this way. My aqualink just turns on the pump (vgreen motor) and the speeds are adjusted on the pump to my liking. It all works fine.
I think this is what I will end up doing. Some folks mentioned that the pentair intelliflo VS pump/motor do work with iAquaLink so will try to find that first. Worst case like you mentioned turn it on using aqua link and control speed via the pump directly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.