Pool Math App

Tenna1970

Feb 12, 2019
Gulf Breeze
Are there instructions on how to use the Pool Math app somewhere? I opened a new log and entered my test results but they didn’t stay in there. So I opened the summary and entered everything and the info wasn’t retained there either. So, I’m looking for step by step instructions.

Thanks much,
Tenna

Tenna - I assume you subscribed to the app, correct? It can be used for free, but your data is not kept.

Also, be sure you sign in on the app with your TFP member name and password.

Tenna,
First and foremost.......Welcome to TFP!!!

After you entered your test results make sure you click the “check mark” on the upper right hand corner. This will save the results and carry over to the summary.

Reactions: Tenna1970
Tenna - I assume you subscribed to the app, correct? It can be used for free, but your data is not kept.

Also, be sure you sign in on the app with your TFP member name and password.

Thank you for responding. My subscription hadn’t gone through.... it is retaining information now. This is my first pool and we are reading this site trying to learn what each piece of equipment is and what all the names in the test are. It appears the person who had been servicing my pool didn’t put the correct amount of chemicals in..... These are my test results. The only thing I added tonight was the bleach because I didn’t have the amount of other chemicals on hand. Do these appear correct and is the amount of chemicals suggested correct? I’m using the TF-100 test kit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AC435CF6-4CA0-429E-979A-3184A1DA271F.png
    AC435CF6-4CA0-429E-979A-3184A1DA271F.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 54
What type of pool do you have? Can you fill out your signature?

pH is low. I would add 20 ppm TA worth of baking soda to raise your TA to 70 ppm and aerate your water to raise your pH.
FC is low. Get enough liquid chlorine into the water to reach the target level for your CYA (round up the CYA to 60 ppm). Maintain that daily.

How does your water look?

Tenna,

Welcome to TFP! You'll get a boatload of help here and very quickly you'll understand the basics and caring for your pool. Please do read Pool School and ask any questions you may have. Before we can respond with much detail we need some basic information about your pool. Best thing to do is to add this in your "signature". It is found by clicking your name top right, then select signature. Enter the info then press "save". It will then display at the bottom of every post so experts can get the right answer to you immediately instead of having to ask for it each time you have a question.

Are you sure you're following the standard TF 100 test procedure? Your results for FC and CC will be in .5 ppm increments with a standard 10 ml sample. Our experts need to confirm you have accurate test results so their advice is correct. If your results are correct you need to increase FC and pH asap. Ph will rise naturally with your pump running. If you have water features and spillover they will help. If you're not sure how to use pool math experts here can do it for you until you get the hang of it but more info is needed.

Please do get the signature information here as soon as possible. You have a a couple of experts already waiting to help but they need this information to help further.

Good luck with your new pool!

Chris

What type of pool do you have? Can you fill out your signature?

pH is low. I would add 20 ppm TA worth of baking soda to raise your TA to 70 ppm and aerate your water to raise your pH.
FC is low. Get enough liquid chlorine into the water to reach the target level for your CYA (round up the CYA to 60 ppm). Maintain that daily.

How does your water look?
My water looks a little cloudy, not bad. I completed my signature the best I can. Please let me know if you need other info. I poured the bleach directly into the pool. I have no idea how to use the feeder or if I should. I accidentally logged Borates as 2. That’s incorrect. I haven’t tested borates. I don’t see a test for borates in my kit. Is there a tool I can use to convert ppms into how many ounces or something I can understand? In the small safety test there is a chart that says to increase ph from 6.8 to 7.5 for a 20,000 gal pool I should add 4.8 lbs of soda ash. Would baking soda be the same amount?

Again, thank you for your help!

Tenna,

Welcome to TFP! You'll get a boatload of help here and very quickly you'll understand the basics and caring for your pool. Please do read Pool School and ask any questions you may have. Before we can respond with much detail we need some basic information about your pool. Best thing to do is to add this in your "signature". It is found by clicking your name top right, then select signature. Enter the info then press "save". It will then display at the bottom of every post so experts can get the right answer to you immediately instead of having to ask for it each time you have a question.

Are you sure you're following the standard TF 100 test procedure? Your results for FC and CC will be in .5 ppm increments with a standard 10 ml sample. Our experts need to confirm you have accurate test results so their advice is correct. If your results are correct you need to increase FC and pH asap. Ph will rise naturally with your pump running. If you have water features and spillover they will help. If you're not sure how to use pool math experts here can do it for you until you get the hang of it but more info is needed.

Please do get the signature information here as soon as possible. You have a a couple of experts already waiting to help but they need this information to help further.

Chris
Thank you for the kind welcome. How do you aerate a pool?

Thanks much!

Tenna,

Chris
Hey Chris, I believe I’m following the test instructions correctly. I did it twice and got the same results both times. I feel stupid asking but which end of the measuring spoon am I supposed to use for the R-0870?

Thanks much!
Tenna

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the kind welcome. How do you aerate a pool?

Thanks much!

Tenna,

You have a couple of pool experts here already engaged in helping you just follow their advice and you'll have a sparkling pool in no time! To improve your pH Marty advised add TA which will improve your pH much faster. Since it's pretty low this is a better way to go. On your question about aeration, aeration occurs when water is in contact with the air. A tiny amount of oxygen disolves in the water which in-turn creates a chain of reactions in the water that increases the pH. You can increase aeration by running a spillover or fountains if you have them since they all increase air contact. You'll learn more about this after you get through the basics. For now, that's most important. You're clearly the kind of person that gets your questions out very quickly and clearly. So I'm sure you'll be way beyond basics pretty soon.

Good luck with your pool!

Chris

Hey Chris, I believe I’m following the test instructions correctly. I did it twice and got the same results both times. I feel stupid asking but which end of the measuring spoon am I supposed to use for the R-0870?

Thanks much!
Tenna

Tenna,

First, there's no stupid questions here. Ask away and unbiased expert answers are only minutes away. Use the end that has the small dip. It's only a tiny spoon. You usually have plenty of excess supply before the powder needs to be replaced so I just follow the directions with 2 scoops.

Chris

I don’t see a test for borates in my kit. Is there a tool I can use to convert ppms into how many ounces or something I can understand? In the small safety test there is a chart that says to increase ph from 6.8 to 7.5 for a 20,000 gal pool I should add 4.8 lbs of soda ash. Would baking soda be the same amount?
You do not have borates as you have not added them, nor do you need to. So just ignore that.

You use Poolmath to determine how much to add. In the Overview section, after entering your Test Results, touch the reading you wish to adjust. In your case, TA and FC. I entered your data into my PoolMath app and I get you need to add 117oz (7lbs, 5 oz) of baking soda to raise your TA by 20 ppm in your 25000 gallon pool. The reason we are not using Soda Ash is that effects both pH and TA, and is not as predictable as baking soda. The baking soda will not raise your pH much, so we let the aeration do that.

Get a bag of baking soda at Walmart, Sams, etc. Add about 7 lbs - does not have to be exact.

For your FC - to go from 0.2 ppm to 7 ppm which is your target for a CYA of 60, you need to add 217 oz of 10% bleach/liquid chlorine. That is about 1 gallon and 3 quarts. Do that soon.

You do not have borates as you have not added them, nor do you need to. So just ignore that.

You use Poolmath to determine how much to add. In the Overview section, after entering your Test Results, touch the reading you wish to adjust. In your case, TA and FC. I entered your data into my PoolMath app and I get you need to add 117oz (7lbs, 5 oz) of baking soda to raise your TA by 20 ppm in your 25000 gallon pool. The reason we are not using Soda Ash is that effects both pH and TA, and is not as predictable as baking soda. The baking soda will not raise your pH much, so we let the aeration do that.

Get a bag of baking soda at Walmart, Sams, etc. Add about 7 lbs - does not have to be exact.

For your FC - to go from 0.2 ppm to 7 ppm which is your target for a CYA of 60, you need to add 217 oz of 10% bleach/liquid chlorine. That is about 1 gallon and 3 quarts. Do that soon.
Thank you!!

Tenna,

You have a couple of pool experts here already engaged in helping you just follow their advice and you'll have a sparkling pool in no time! To improve your pH Marty advised add TA which will improve your pH much faster. Since it's pretty low this is a better way to go. On your question about aeration, aeration occurs when water is in contact with the air. A tiny amount of oxygen disolves in the water which in-turn creates a chain of reactions in the water that increases the pH. You can increase aeration by running a spillover or fountains if you have them since they all increase air contact. You'll learn more about this after you get through the basics. For now, that's most important. You're clearly the kind of person that gets your questions out very quickly and clearly. So I'm sure you'll be way beyond basics pretty soon.

Good luck with your pool!

Chris
[/QUOTE

Yesterday all I added was 356 oz of bleach. McNauss was kind enough to read my test results and tell me what to add. Prior to adding what you said I tested again. My results are below. The app results are for me to add 13 lb of Borax to raise pH. I added the 7+ pounds of baking soda that McNauss told me to and 256 oz of bleach. Should I add the Borax?

Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.