Pool Math App issue

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
My Pool Math App looks like this:

Screenshot_20210810-143701.png

Note the CSI says "-0.11 today," but when you open CSI it says it's -0.31.

Screenshot_20210810-143707.png

How do I tell which it is? And how do I make those two number agree?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hmm -- mine is equal. So it something in your data entry. Check to be sure all the data is equal.

I do not see Salt in your Overview. Are you tracking Salt?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Then remove the 4800 ppm Salt in the CSI calculation. You may need to enable tracking salt and delete the data point.

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
I tried enabling tracking salt and the overview continues to display -0.11. Then I deleted the 4800 from the salt value on the CSI screen and it changed the CSI to -0.02 in the CSI screen, but overview still says -0.11.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Odd. My Overview and CSI screen show the same result. Something is throwing it off.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
I can give you the link to the article CSI is based on, but it is not a trivial calculation.

I input your data into my app where I have Test Pools for use to help members. Inputting the data, and letting the Salt (in the CSI section) equal 1000 ppm which is the default for non-salt pools, I get a CSI of -0.07. So I suspect your Salt level is messing with this somewhere.

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
It really is still 4800 (caused by the SWG reporting much, much lower levels) since I did not drain the pool after getting rid of the SWG. If that affects the CSI I should keep it in there.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
OK -- did not know that. In my app, that would put the CSI at -0.27

I hope you plan to replace the SWCG. They are the best way to manage chlorine addition to a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
I would like to, but the pad is in a difficult location for electronics as the sun beats on it directly all day and there's no real options for shading it.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Shade cloth? Too bad really. Adding liquid chlorine every day or dealing with the issues of solid chlorine is tedious.

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
I would do shade cloth if I could find something to anchor it to. It's hard to explain unless you're there in person.

I'm so used to daily chlorine that I practically sleep walk out to the pool every night and add 1/2 gallon.

HermanTX

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Katy TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I input your data into my app where I have Test Pools for use to help members. Inputting the data, and letting the Salt (in the CSI section) equal 1000 ppm which is the default for non-salt pools, I get a CSI of -0.07. So I suspect your Salt level is messing with this somewhere.
Don't meant to hijack this thread but this got my attention. I do not have a SWCG pool so I did not activate that in my PM app. However, I do test for salt every 3 months or so and my salt level is above 1000ppm (about 1400ppm). Should I make a change in my PM app to ensure my CSI readings are correct or adjusted for the salt level due to use of LC?

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
On the old web version of PoolMath <which I love dearly> I believe there is a default of 1000ppm of salt unless you change it. Every pool has salt even if not a SWG chlorinated pool.
Could this be part of the problem you're having with the app?

Maddie :flower:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
If you are NOT tracking Salt, the app assumes 1000 ppm for the CSI calculation.

Salt does not have that great of an effect if +/- a few hundred ppm around 1000.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
I can't find anywhere with an IC60 in stock anyway. The chlorine jam is causing an SWG jam.
or, if you do not have Pentair automation, don't mind a non-Pentair cell, and can wait a bit,

This is in stock -- IC40 generic

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
On the old web version of PoolMath <which I love dearly> I believe there is a default of 1000ppm of salt unless you change it. Every pool has salt even if not a SWG chlorinated pool.
Could this be part of the problem you're having with the app?

Maddie :flower:
It shouldn't be. No matter what salt levels are being used to calculate CSI, it should be using the same calculations for summary screen as it's using for the CSI screen. Clearly the two aren't using the same code, but I don't have the source so I don't know where the issue may lie.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Actually I believe it's the other way around. The newer PoolMath APP has a pre-loaded salt level of 1,000 ppm since virtually all pools will see their salt level increase from the byproducts of other products. No salt at all is not realistic in any pool. @Leebo can correct me if I'm wrong. :poke:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.