Pool maintenance

You want the swg to be set to replace your daily loss (average is 2-4ppm/day) maybe on the lower end if you leave the pool covered.
10% with a 24hr runtime looks like this
IMG_6244.png
You’re gonna need to bump that up.

I like to hang out around 10% of my cya for insurance against a high uv day or whatever but anywhere in the target range is ok. Just don’t play kissy face with minimum. The ph test is invalid at fc levels above 10ppm so take that into consideration as well.
View attachment 490086
For the cc’s adequate fc & the sun will likely do away with them. You say you have an auto cover so maybe leave that off for a day so the sun can do its thing.
How many hours are you running the swg?
That is a good question, not sure to be honest. We have an Easytouch and I use the Screenlogic app, but I'm finding it hard to find any settings there. I just see the pool run time from 8AM to 7:59AM every day, should I change these settings or look somewhere else?

That is a good question, not sure to be honest. We have an Easytouch and I use the Screenlogic app, but I'm finding it hard to find any settings there. I just see the pool run time from 8AM to 7:59AM every day, should I change these settings or look somewhere else?
That sounds like 24 hrs .. hold tight for more guidance

Go to this screen to adjust SWCG generation
images

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi everyone. Had a good run with the pool until yesterday, came back home after we were gone for a weekend to a cloudy pool. Took some measurements and this is the result:
FC 0.5 (barely any)
PH 7.2 (on the low side but I did throw some acid in before we left on Friday morning)
TA 110 (little higher than before, was around 80 the last few months)
CH 425
CYA 30 (strange as it was around 80 before, it dropped to around 60 and I added some more, but now its down to 30 all of a sudden).
Edit: forgot to add CC: 2.5

I added some liquid chlorine yesterday and I cranked up my SWG but still barely any FC this morning. I cleaned the salt cell with acid, my filter baskets and the cartridges and got it all together again and put it on super chlorinate for a few hours to see if anything will change.

What is the best way forward, should I SLAM by adding additional liquid chlorine? Can I keep the SWG running then?

Thank you!

Last edited:
It’s Slam time. Use liquid chlorine.
Your cell can only make around 8ppm of fc per day in your pool. Not sufficient nor quick enough for SLAM Process.
Curious,
Did you deploy a cover during your time away?

It’s Slam time. Use liquid chlorine.
Your cell can only make around 8ppm of fc per day in your pool. Not sufficient nor quick enough for SLAM Process.
Curious,
Did you deploy a cover during your time away?
Just threw in 2 gallons of liquid chlorine. We have an auto cover, so I am wondering if something is wrong this the SWG as I usually had it running around 10-15% and my FC would sometimes shoot up to over 10PPM. Pool was looking fine on Friday and was cloudy Monday evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just threw in 2 gallons of liquid chlorine. We have an auto cover, so I am wondering if something is wrong this the SWG as I usually had it running around 10-15% and my FC would sometimes shoot up to over 10PPM. Pool was looking fine on Friday and was cloudy Monday evening.
Keep the cover off for the slam & give it a scrub.
Your cell running @ 15% for 24 hours only gives you 1.3 ppm fc.
Even with a cover that was likely not enough & you fell below minimum for your cya at some point while you were away & algae grew.
The trajectory here goes—>
SLAM Process until passing ALL 3 end of slam criteria —> then you can do an overnight chlorine gain test to determine how your cell is functioning.
I suspect it’s functioning fine & what it is producing is keeping you from having a green swamp. But try as it might, your swcg cannot overcome an algae issue & the algae will eventually win without intervention.
SLAM ON 👍🏻
For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya FC/CYA Levels
as often as possible (multiple times per day is best) until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Reactions: Newdude
Ok I will keep it up. So far not much change. Added 2 gallons of GC at 7.30pm. At 10 FC wasa still around 1.5 so added another 2 gallons. This morning FC still at 1.5 so added 2 gallons again as per the Poolmath app to het my FC up to 12. I will measure again in an hour or two and do some brushing and vacuuming.

Should I be adding even more chlorine if the FC does not seem to go up?

Should I be adding even more chlorine if the FC does not seem to go up?
Add only what is needed to reach your FC target. They key is to test as frequently as needed (schedule permitting) to maintain that proper FC level.

Add only what is needed to reach your FC target. They key is to test as frequently as needed (schedule permitting) to maintain that proper FC level.
I tested my water this morning, about 1PPM of FC so I added 2 more gallons as per Poolmath app. I just tested again, about 2 hours later. FC around 1, but CC went down from around 5.5 to 1 now, hope that is a good sign. So I can safely add 2 gallons again as per the Poolmath app to try and raise the FC?

I did try and check PH, which is showing low at around 6.8 now. But I read that could be not reliable due to the SLAM process, it was around 7.2-7.4 when I started the SLAM.

So I can safely add 2 gallons again as per the Poolmath app to try and raise the FC?
You can add chlorine at anytime as needed to maintain the required FC level.

What I don't understand is it seems that you are in the middle of a SLAM Process correct? But you noted that your FC was only 1 ppm, then a couple hours after adding chlorine it fell from 5.5 back to 1 ppm. Is that correct? If so, you have something aggressive taking your chlorine. There should not be any such drops. So here's what I would recommend at this point:

1 - Use enough liquid chlorine to increase the FC to "12". Depending on your current FC level, that could be about 2 to 2.5 gallons of 10% chlorine. Let it mix for about 10 minutes and test again. If the FC fell below 5 ppm, add chlorine right away to get it back to "12". Continue this drill every 10 minutes until you see the FC stabilize and hold.

2 - After this 10-min drill of testing the FC, then go back and confirm your CYA one more time.

You can add chlorine at anytime as needed to maintain the required FC level.

What I don't understand is it seems that you are in the middle of a SLAM Process correct? But you noted that your FC was only 1 ppm, then a couple hours after adding chlorine it fell from 5.5 back to 1 ppm. Is that correct? If so, you have something aggressive taking your chlorine. There should not be any such drops. So here's what I would recommend at this point:

1 - Use enough liquid chlorine to increase the FC to "12". Depending on your current FC level, that could be about 2 to 2.5 gallons of 10% chlorine. Let it mix for about 10 minutes and test again. If the FC fell below 5 ppm, add chlorine right away to get it back to "12". Continue this drill every 10 minutes until you see the FC stabilize and hold.

2 - After this 10-min drill of testing the FC, then go back and confirm your CYA one more time.
My FC did not get above 1.5. My CC measured as 5.5 and then dropped to about 1.

Will try your suggestion later and see how that goes. Thank you for your reply!

Liquid chlorine degrades.
Be sure to check the date codes
Its from end of February 2023, so it should be fine. I have been adding 2 gallons and checking about 10 minutes later. Indeed FC is up to the target then. But after an hour or so its down to 4PPM again. Will keep adding and try to keep the FC at target level. I am not sure what happened to the pool, but it got bad quickly. Hope keeping the FC level up will help improve the water soon.

Its from end of February 2023, so it should be fine.
It's almost the end of August and that's 6 months. It's definitely weakened, possibly even half strength.

No biggie so long as you know about it, you just need to add more of it.

Keep us posted. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.