Pool maintenance during power outage?

Jun 15, 2018
Highland, MI
My power went out early yesterday and is estimated to be out for at least a couple more days. In yesterday's sun there was a noticeable difference in the appearance of the pool by the end of the day, with green algae starting to appear on the walls. I imagine it will only be getting worse. My first instinct was to dump a bunch of chlorine in the pool but without circulation I don't think it will do much good.

Are there any best practices for maintaining your pool during an extended power outage, or am I just looking at a likely SLAM once the juice starts flowing again?

Add liquid chlorine and brush the pool to distribute it! Add enough to get to 20% or so of CYA level and maintain that every day. As you have visible algae now, you will need to follow the SLAM Process once the power is restored.

Thanks for the quick replies! I put in the last two gallons of 10% I had on hand and brushed the walls and slopes as best I could. I'll be heading into town for more.

I forgot to mention in my original post that i have the solar cover on the pool and assume it will help retain the HCl and cut down on algae growth - right? Stabilizer was at 60 when I last tested on Thursday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.