Pool Losing Water

Henry121083

Silver Supporter
Aug 10, 2018
Newtown
My 25,000 gallon in ground pool has been losing water lately.

I have been reading online that this is normal due to evaporation (we have been using the heater lately too, but only for spa)

My question is - is it normal for pools to lose water due to evaporation in September (now October) in the cooler months (it's roughly 70* here during the day)

Does using the heater for the spa only cause that much evaporation? Pool is losing 3-4 inches of water every week or so

Henry, to verify if you’re loosing water to a leak and not evaporation, you need to do the bucket test.
Take a 5 gallon bucket and place it on the second step of your pool, fill it with water to the same level with your pool. The next day, if the level in the bucket is the same as your pool, then it’s evaporation, if the pool is lower then the bucket, then you have a leak. Make sure you turn off your autofill before starting the test, and don’t forget to turn it back on after. :cheers:

My pool loses more to evaporation during the fall than any time else in the year. Dry autumn air, Indian summer heat, all things like that.

Get an accurate amount of loss via the bucket test and lets see.

Maddie :flower:

The highest evaporation occurs when the pool water is warmer than the ambient air temperature with low relative humidity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.