diamondlil213

Jul 23, 2022
Nashville
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our 24' above ground pool has been covered for the winter. We are planning on opening this weekend. Over the past week or so we have noticed that the water level has drastically dropped (we drained in just below skimmer for the winter and now it is about 1' below skimmer and most of that recently). It looks like our pillow has deflated, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference. Any ideas what could cause this or if I should be looking for anything once it is uncovered? Is it possible something could have happened to the liner even though it is covered?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Do you have a cover pump, or have you pumped the top water ? If the cover is compromised you suck pool water through it.

We syphon the water regularly, but we have had a lot of storms over the past 2 weeks (which is when we noticed the sinking water level), so there has been some water on top. We uncovered yesterday afternoon and I measured the level and it has not decreased at all over the past 16 hours or so. Am about to check for leaks at the water line.

Have you been getting steady rain? What are the daytime temps up your way? Down here during our dry season I can easily lose that to evaporation.

No wet areas of the ground around the pool?

I think I would not add water for several days and see if there’s a point where the water loss stops. That will at least tell you where to check for the leak.

I know it is above ground - what is the brand? How old is the liner?

The pool liner is only three years old. For the most part it looks brand new. I haven't noticed any wet areas around the pool at all. A weird thing I did notice when I got in today to try and find something suspicious was that at the bottom of the pool where the side meets the bottom, for about 10 feet the area was very bumpy, almost like the sand had been displaced. Over the past couple of years, we have had a couple of mild bulging out, but this seemed to be way more excessive. No wetness detected on the outside area of the pool tho.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. The seam. pretty much goes around the bottom rim of the pool. When I press on the bulging areas it feels solid and the "valleys" in between the bulging area is softer, but I don't think it is water under the pool because it's not squishy.