Pool Log Book

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but I considered paper logs for a bit. But once I got familiar with PoolMath, I realized I really didn't need paper logs. The app was so much more convenient and useful. If I wrote it down on paper, I'd still have to enter all the same info into the app to calculate my additions, so there just wasn't a point.

If you want to record the data in a more useable form, I get it. But there's also an export option within PoolMath that I believe could be used to easily export your data to Excel for trend analysis if you wanted, or just for easier review of longer trends, since that's one area Poolmath is very weak. Though the Summary tab is pretty cool and shows total number of tests and total additions that affect each of the tracked parameters. For example if I pull up last year, I can see I tested FC 26 times, added 39 gallons of 12.5% chlorine, for an approximate total effect of 329 ppm. Or 18 tests for pH, with 3 gallons of 32% MA added and 4 lbs, 6.4 oz of dry stabilizer (since that affects pH slightly too). And so forth.

Reactions: Schmath and mknauss
I love PoolMath for the calculators and the easy access to the data, but I do miss my old log book. It was a freebie from work, with a beautiful blue cover and filled with graph paper. I used it diligently, recording my tests, my chemical additions, and also a lot of text about my observations and what worked & what didn't for opening/closing. I may have also used a few pages to design the current location and plumbing layout - graph paper, you know.

I use the app a lot - but not ususally to record all my tests. Mostly just additions. So it's definitely an incomplete log. I don't like typing on my phone so I no longer journal about the experience. But every year, I ask myself if it's time to reinstate the paper... I try not to use paper anymore, at work or at home, so this is problematic.

But your post has made me think of something new. For all my scratchpad needs, I now use a Rocketbook, which is a waterproof, erasable paper that has a scanning QR code printed on. You can erase by spraying with water and wiping off. You can scan to multiple locations like email, Google docs, One Note, or One Drive. I don't usually scan, I use it more as erasable/reusable paper, but lot of people make templates out of their notebooks. When I scan, I scan to OneNote and it makes a new page with each scan - much like a journal. For a pool, you could easily buy a small notepad or an executive size, make a template, record your data, scan and save, erase, and reuse. There is an ok OCR function, but it wouldn't really work to automatically transfer into a spreadsheet.

Thanks for asking this question! I think I may make a template. For anyone interested, getrocketbook.com has details on all their notebooks (which are sold by all the major retailers), and there's a Facebook group that goes into detail on the many ways one could make a template.

I'm fascinated by the Rocketbook idea...I had no idea something like that existed! I think I will go with the Rite in the Rain one for now. I like the idea of having something I can just keep out in the pool house that my husband or a pool guy could refer to should anyone else ever want to test the water.

Reactions: CeltiaK
Well, I am the pool man. I can’t get my wife interested in caring for the pool. She just wants to swim.

I previously used pad & pen. I find pool math so much easier. If I need text, I can add a note when needed and I have added quite a lot. The one enhancement I would ask is for the logs section to be able to search within a date range like the summary section.

Reactions: Schmath

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.