Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

I'm in the process of DIYing my inground pool.I’m at the point we’re the liner needs to be installed. Initially I had a company come out to install the vermiculite (advice taken from the members of this forum) which worked out well. Fast forward two months and the company is telling me that their busy and will try to make time to install liner. It’s suppose to be 69 degrees this weekend, abnormally warm for this time of year here in NJ. Would like to take advantage of the weather and install the liner.
The pool is a 20k freeform pool with interior steps, 3.4 - 6” deep. The liner is 27 mil from Merlin. My question is if I can not physically install the liner along with friends can I fold it up and have another company come out to install it Or is it a one shot deal? Once the liner is out of the box you don’t get a second chance.
Thanks. You guys are great.
Joe

You can try and install it and if you find out that it's more of a job than you can handle you can put it back in the box and wait. However this is only if you don't make any cuts to the liner for steps, skimmer(s) drains, etc..

Then there's the whole folding the liner back up so it'll go back in the box. It's like trying to refold a map once you unfold it! :)

Reactions: Aquaman7
Thanks bama. Is it true that by the time I have to cut lights, skimmer and returns the liner should be properly set?

Its no issue you dont need the box. Get a small tarp and fold it up and use tarp to protect it if you bail out. Perfect time to install liner take advantage of the weather here. Take your time and be diligent on getting the liner squared up to the steps. Get the stairs placed right and then worry about the rest of it. Just hang the liner amd get it opened up then go right to tackling stairs. Shop vac it thru skimmer amd i recommend sacrificing a hose end iff shop vac. If u cut the plastic hard pipe off amd leave the sift flex it goes really nice behind liner amd works way better. Dont be scared to stop vac and adjust if needed. A few bags if salt on stairs while filling is good to hold down. Domt cut anything until water reaches it and make sure liner is snug where wall meets floor

As luck would have it the guy called me tonight and will be installing the liner tomorrow morning. Can’t wait to get it done.
Thank you for your help yippee, bama and jimmy.

Its no issue you dont need the box. Get a small tarp and fold it up and use tarp to protect it if you bail out. Perfect time to install liner take advantage of the weather here. Take your time and be diligent on getting the liner squared up to the steps. Get the stairs placed right and then worry about the rest of it. Just hang the liner amd get it opened up then go right to tackling stairs. Shop vac it thru skimmer amd i recommend sacrificing a hose end iff shop vac. If u cut the plastic hard pipe off amd leave the sift flex it goes really nice behind liner amd works way better. Dont be scared to stop vac and adjust if needed. A few bags if salt on stairs while filling is good to hold down. Domt cut anything until water reaches it and make sure liner is snug where wall meets floor
Jim,
So the guy came and Instaled the liner. There is about 4” of water in shallow end. Where the wall meet the floor the liner is 3” away from the corner. The guy said the weight of the water will push it into the corner. Am I stressing for nothing. Please help.
Thanks Joe

Just some additional info if anyone can offer some advice. When I order the liner it was June, I just installed it today. I think the liner might be a tad small be cause it’s a summer cut and not a winter cut liner. Does this make any sense?
Thanks Joe

Calm down you're stressing yourself out about this. :)
The installer is correct the liner will conform to the shell with the weight of the water.

I've never heard of there being summer and winter cuts. The liner mfg's. build the liner to fit the shell with some stretch so there are no wrinkles when installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Calm down you're stressing yourself out about this. :)
The installer is correct the liner will conform to the shell with the weight of the water.

I've never heard of there being summer and winter cuts. The liner mfg's. build the liner to fit the shell with some stretch so there are no wrinkles when installed.
Bama. Lol. Thank you for your reassuring words. I hope you’re right. I’ll report back in a few days.

Thanks again,
Joe

The temperature does make a difference when the liner is made. It can be made a little bit bigger for a winter installation vs. a summer installation. So, there is a “summer cut” and a “winter cut” although not all people recognize or use this terminology.

Liners really don’t stretch and they are not designed to stretch by very much. If the liner is far from the wall to floor cove, it’s not going to get much better with the weight of the water. It needs to be set correctly from the beginning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. Yesterday the liner had wrinkles in the wall and app. 3” from the cove with 4” of water. Today with 75 degree weather 12” of water all the wrinkles on the walls are gone and the liner is about 1” from the cove. If the liner doesn’t fit snug against the the wall - floor corner would this cause a leak?
Thanks

It wont cause a leak. The seam could fail down the road if someone was walking right on the edge but should be ok. They never fit 100% tight there but it should be an inch out when on the vacuum so water gets it real tight. It's harder to get them snug on free form pools compared to geometrics not sure what you have

Sounds good. Thank you for the help.
I emailed Merlin about the “seasonal cuts” this was there response...

Yes the shrinkage is considered while designing the liner so that it stretches accordingly for the summer and the winter. All the liners are custom made.

Thanks,
Team Merlin

Reactions: Heavenlytunes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.