Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello all -
I'm having the pool liner replaced this afternoon. That was not my first choice - should have been done weeks ago but I can't control that.

The water temp has been around 63 F until the first frost last night. It's right at 60F today. I'm about to have a major drop of leaves too. So, my plan is to fill to Winter level and get the mesh cover on before it fills up with leaves. The downside of that is It won't have anything in it except tap water.
I'm hoping that as long as I open it back up before the water temp reaches 60F and getting it up to TFP code, I should be ok. Yes?

My alternative would be to wait until all the leaves are down, take the cover back off and then do an opening IF I can find salt. And if that's the case, I'll just leave it open and maintain it over the Winter.

What say the Masters?

In way of updates... The pool is full. FC 1.5, TA 70, CH 75. No CYA of course. The PH is 7.9 by the TFP recommended tester. Isn't that high for tap water?

Next Steps:
I'm about to add bleach to get to 3.0 FC and CYA socks heading to 30.
I found salt at Home Depot and will go pick that up later. Understand I should put in about 2/3rds and let it circulate 24 hrs and test.

Question: Once everything is stable, do I still SLAM it before closing? Water temp is 59F. (Still concerned as I'm trying to beat the leaf drop.)

Reactions: Newdude
In way of updates... The pool is full. FC 1.5, TA 70, CH 75. No CYA of course. The PH is 7.9 by the TFP recommended tester. Isn't that high for tap water?

Next Steps:
I'm about to add bleach to get to 3.0 FC and CYA socks heading to 30.
I found salt at Home Depot and will go pick that up later. Understand I should put in about 2/3rds and let it circulate 24 hrs and test.

Question: Once everything is stable, do I still SLAM it before closing? Water temp is 59F. (Still concerned as I'm trying to beat the leaf drop.)
Don’t bother with the salt chlorine generator, just dose it with liquid chlorine for now if you’re just going to close it. It may not even work with water temp below ~55F. My tap water pH is about 7.8 so no surprise there.

Adjust ph to mid 7’s,
Raise to slam level for your cya & close her up - this ensures you have enough fc to make it until spring opening not necessarily because you’re trying to do the SLAM Process.

I would wait on the salt if you’re closing

Don’t bother with the salt chlorine generator, just dose it with liquid chlorine for now if you’re just going to close it. It may not even work with water temp below ~55F. My tap water pH is about 7.8 so no surprise there.
Thank you! I kind of figured hitting the salt right before shutdown was odd. I went back and looked and the post I got that info from was restarting a pool after new liner.. but staying open. Excellent.

Reactions: Newdude
Adjust ph to mid 7’s,
Raise to slam level for your cya & close her up - this ensures you have enough fc to make it until spring opening not necessarily because you’re trying to do the SLAM Process.

I would wait on the salt if you’re closing
Awesome! Now if the leaves will hold off long enough for the process, I'll be golden!
Thank you!

Reactions: Mdragger88
I see you have a dolphin. You could always put it to work under the cover to catch any pesky debris that makes its way in whilst going through the other steps. That’s what I do because by the time it’s cold enough to close the leaves are bombarding my efforts no matter how quick I try to be with the cover & the leaf 🍂 scooper. I just leave the cover loose where the cord goes in & then after the cycle is done, pull it out & secure the cover the rest of the way.

Absolutely! And that’s what I’ll do. When I say I have leaves, I live in the woods with a ton of big oaks and hickorys. Once they begin to fall en mass the dophin (black and yellow so I call him Bumble) will fill up in just a few minutes even with the large gallon+ basket. Good news is they are holding off for now. I just have to clean the skimmer a couple times per day.

Speaking of Bumble, the CYA in socks are hung about 16” from the jet but it’s still blowing out through the socks! So, I’ve brushed it three times today and will hit it again before bed. I’ll put the last of the granules in the socks before bed and will set Bumble to run about 2 am to stir it up again. I don’t want any issues with this new liner.

Lastly, the PH appears to be at 7.4-7.5. My fancy device may need calibrating. I tested with 2 different strips (yeah, I know) AND the TFP Pro test as well as my older ColorQ and all fo them showed around the mid 7’s.

You guys and gals rock!! I’ve been trying to spread the word. I’m sure at the first sign of trouble next season - some of them will be calling me to inquire about TFP. :)

Thanks much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.