Pool lighting suggestions? Microbrite VS IntelliBrite?

PoolNewb2

Jul 15, 2020
West Central, FL
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi,

We are planning on a simple 13x27 rectangular pool, light pebble finish, 3-5' depth, and a 6x13 sunshelf in the shallow end (swimming area would be 13x21).

Was thinking of doing 2 colored microbrites spaced evenly in the swimming area on the long side facing away from the house, but PB says it wouldn't be enough light and recommends one intellibrite on the deep end, which would direct it towards one of our sitting areas.

Would 2 microbrites be enough lighting?

I was also thinking of putting the intellibrite on the long side centered in the swimming area if we didn't do microbrites.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

They both use the same controller for automation, if that helps? That's all I know of them. I have different LEDs with two lights spaced between 32' length and I do wish I had more. Perhaps 3 between the 32' instead of one on the end. Remember to put them so they don't face towards the house.

Maddie

Reactions: PoolNewb2
Hi,

We are planning on a simple 13x27 rectangular pool, light pebble finish, 3-5' depth, and a 6x13 sunshelf in the shallow end (swimming area would be 13x21).

Was thinking of doing 2 colored microbrites spaced evenly in the swimming area on the long side facing away from the house, but PB says it wouldn't be enough light and recommends one intellibrite on the deep end, which would direct it towards one of our sitting areas.

Would 2 microbrites be enough lighting?

I was also thinking of putting the intellibrite on the long side centered in the swimming area if we didn't do microbrites.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Check out this thread for more detail.

In a nutshell, according to Pentair, you want to aim for your total lumens from your lights to be 4 times the sqft of your pool. From the Pentair data sheet (provided in that thread), a Microbrite has 500 lumens.

So for your pool, your main pool area is 13x21 = 273 sqft. 273 sqft x 4 lumens = 1,092 lumen target. A Microbrite has 500 lumens, so 2 Microbrites have 1,000 lumens. So it is close, but your PB is likely right that it will be on the darker side.

If you want to be very confident you have enough light and you have the budget for it, I would go for 3 Microbrites in the pool and one on the tanning deck. If you don't put one on the tanning deck, it is going to be very dark while the rest of the pool is lit up.

Reactions: PoolNewb2
Interesting formula, Sparks. I have an IntelliBrite in a 12K pool. It's OK when white, but each color gets successively darker. White down to green down to blue down to red. The red I like when I swim by myself, I like it dark, but I won't let the kids swim in the red as it won't light the pool enough. I wish I had one at each end. So keep that in mind when you're figuring how many lights. DO NOT let him point that light at your primary sitting area, and not at the house. You will not like that.

If I was building, I'd have each light wired separately back to the switch. It's only one extra wire per light, no extra conduit, so don't let him make out that that's going to cost a bundle. You can always tie them together at the switch as one light, but I'd want to be able to control each separately, and it can't be wired like that later. Not so much for swimming, but to "set the mood" while just sitting around the pool at night, like for a little ambient light. You don't always need to land helicopters next to your pool!

If it turns out you have to point one of the lights at the house, then the other one will be facing away. With separate switches, you can light from either direction or both, to blast the pool when it's full of kids, or create a subtle effect when you're just looking at it from inside.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is that the microbrites have fewer lumens per bulb than intellibrites. I asked the PB to switch from intellibrites to microbrites and then as the build started and they set the lights I realized I almost certainly needed a 3rd light. I'm still in the build process, so I don't have pictures of the finished project, but I went with 3 microbrites for a 20x36 deer creek

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.