Pool Lighting help

May 17, 2014
Hesperia, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My pool has two JandyColors pool lights. One stopped working a couple years ago on the deep end so we stayed mostly in the shallow end at night. This year I decided to order new bulbs for both of them and replace all (8 each) in the lights. Watched as many youtube videos about changing pool lights. Started on the shallow end and when just fine, left on the side of the pool and was going to get in to put both back in. When I pulled out the light in the deep end it did not even get to the water surface and ran out of cord. Can I disconnect the wiring and pull it out far enough to change the bulbs or how can I change them in the water? Will I need to drain the water down to do it? This is a great forum I have learned a lot about my Salt system and how important the chemical balance is form everyone.

I am not sure but my gut says NO. If you cannot get the light out of the water do not work on it until you have the water below the light. I could be wrong.

I am hoping this will bump your question up so someone who does know will see it.

You can't change it in the water. I would disconnect it at the J Box and make sure the wire moves fairly freely at the J box by pulling back towards the J box what little slack you have at the pool. Once you know the wire moves in the conduit at the J box you can attach a lead rope to the end of the wire so you can pull the light a few feet up to the pool deck. Make sure you tape the rope to a good 10" of the wire wrapping it around and back on it's self so it won't slip off when you go to pull the wire back after you replace the bulb. If possible do this with 2 people one pushing and one pulling in each direction you are working, you would be surprised how much someone pushing can help relieve tension on a wire that is being pulled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.