Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi All,

Was hoping for some advice/guidance from all of you Experts here!

I currently have a 120v pool light that is very dim and time to replace. Would love to go LED, and understand I have two options, an LED replacement bulb that would run off my current set up or upgrade to a 12v system.

For the first option of switching the bulb out, I have a terrible fear of the electricity/water combo. Reading around here quite a bit, it sounds easy enough to pull out the light fixture, replace bulb and gasket, and then good to go. I have two young kids though that use the pool and it terrifies me to think I could do something wrong in the process that could make the pool dangerous.

I believe 12v, while still could cause some concern, would be safer than the 120v system. I got a quote from my regular pool company for $1300 all said and done. That includes $700 for a “universal color logic pool light”. While I like the idea of upgrading to 12v and modernizing the set up, I have read a lot around here about these color logic lights failing quickly. I also understand that the light itself can’t be replaced, and that essentially if it goes out I’m looking at another $700 to replace the entire light? That seems a bit crazy to me.

I appreciate any guidance you guys can provide. Do I just replace the 120v bulb with an LED for significantly less cost (and less replacement cost in the future?) or is the 12v upgrade worth it long term and from a safety perspective?

thank you so much!

Welcome to TFP.

Replace the 120V light with a LED light bulb. If the light is on a GFCI CB then it is safe. Test the GFCI CB periodically with the test button on it.

This has been discussed previously in Are 12v lights safer than 120v? What is the manufacturer of your existing light, Hayward or Pentair? You'll also need the wattage of the current bulb for replacement options, i.e. 300w incandescent
\approx
40w LED. Also color LED lighting typically isn't as bright as a white LED.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.