Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFPers,

We want to upgrade our light to a color changing LED, since we are going to have our pool resurfaced/tiled. The pool contractors/companies want a ridiculous amount of $ to upgrade to a white LED (~$650), and then even more for a color changing LED (~$950). Add to that their sales pitch that I'll "get tired of using the pool light switch to stop or change the color light show" and instead would need a remote control color changing device to switch through the shows, that I have begun to research doing myself by way of Inyo Pools. Another member informed me about Inyo Pools Pure Colors LED series. So let me get underway.

I was informed my light was a Purex and I assumed a 500w, but I took it out of the niche today and took some pics. Yes, it is a Purex 100-5 by Underwater Laboratories. If I am correct, I think this is now considered a Pentair brand. Here are the pics:

39955484161_3fdab246cd.jpg

26082728478_c7bd285739.jpg

Looking at this pic, does this rust/corrosion warrant replacing the entire light? At what point, should I consider replacing the light fixture vs. bulb?

39923444982_b724ce1a3c.jpg

From what I am learning at INYO Pools, I think I can just change the bulb. Any of you TFPers done it and care to chime with tips? I know I need to get a replacement gasket. We are also going to resurface our pool, and after much research, thought, and reflection, I have decided on going with either Wet Edge Primera Stone Tahoe Coast, Riviera Coast, or Caribbean Coast.

Top to bottom: Riviera Coast, Caribbean Coast, Tahoe Coast
39243972604_08b4370855_c.jpg

Given that, would you all go back with the stainless steel face ring, or replace to a gray, white, or black plastic ring? This is based on being able to find a 10" OD and 6 5/8" ID, which is not proving worthwhile at least at INYO Pools.

INYO shows this for my Purex: THIS LIGHT IS OBSOLETE BUT MAY BE REPLACED BY A COMPLETE EQUIVALENT AMERLITE.
Purex CHD / Pool Star Light Parts - INYOPools.com

However, when I go to the parts list for the Amerlite, and click on the plastic face rings, I can't find a face ring matching my measurements. Thus, perhaps the current stainless steel one is good enough.

Lastly, my is wired for 120 v. Is it worthwhile and possible to convert to a 12 v? Is that worth the cost? That would be beyond my abilities/comfort level and I would have to hire out for that. Here is my current junction box.
26081494228_e9f7e902f8.jpg

You are already dealing with who I could tell you to- Inyopool for the light. If the person you are talking to there is not able to answer your questions please let me know and I will PM the guy I talk to there to get him in touch with you.

Plaster-I am going to show you a pic:

dbtgallery.php

As you can see there has been quite a bit to change. This is a 4 yr old pool that was maintained using TFP from day one!

I wanted to show you this to show you how the darker color fades over time. There is also the fact that darker colors also show imperfections more as well. SO.............go lighter and enjoy your pool.

Kim:kim:

Tx Kim. I was going to start another thread on people’s opinions of what they like given the 3 color choices of the Primera Stone. Perhaps that color fade was the result of what I stated in another thread that you read/commented on that organic pigments can fade whereas inorganic (mineral) based pigments will not.

Last edited:
Tx Kim. I was going to start another thread on people’s opinions of what they like given the 3 color choices of the Primera Stone. Perhaps that color fade was the result of what I stated in another thread that you read/commented on that organic pigments can fade whereas inorganic (mineral) based pigments will not.

That could be it for sure. I remember that thread now hummmmmmm will have do some looking and poking around to see who has what kind and go from there.

@basictek, tx, I too was referred Amazon to look at LED bulbs. It is cheaper and tempting, but there are quite a bit of negative reviews which makes me skeptical. If the Pure Line series, sold by INYO, is made in China as well, then there is no difference and I'm being the sucker paying more. Will have to compare them more.

@kim. So INYO rep says that they do not have a replacement LED bulb for my Purex 100-5. Person states their Pure Line PL5809 won’t work. The funny thing is is that I have seen a post even hear a trouble-free pool in which someone replaced the bulb on my same fixture with an LED. Any help Kim?

@OP, your existing light fixture uses bulb type R40 (length=7.25" & diameter=5"). The PL5809 is based on type PAR56 and has a diameter of 6-5/8" which is way bigger for your existing fixture to accommodate.
The link from post# 4 is not going to work for you either. You may have to widen your search for a color changing LED bulb Type R40 @ 120VAC, standard E27 base. Consider looking into the Color Splash led bulbs. Good luck...

Btw, don't forget to replace the gasket!

Hello Bbrock - Inyo has a couple LED bulb sizes for the pool light fixtures. The larger of the two is a PAR56. Like Meadow stated, this would be too large for your older Purex fixture. However, there is a smaller option available. It's a PAR38 and it has the same standard E27 Edison screw-in base. It was originally brought in for the Swimquip light fixtures because, like the old Purex lights, a smaller bulb was required. This bulb is only 4-5/8" OD and 4-1/4" deep. The color changing 120v bulb is model PL5811. The 120v white bulb is model PL5844.

If you order one of those bulbs and it doesn't fit, it can be returned at no charge. Also, let us know if it fits and we'll add the Purex to the list of acceptable fixtures.

Your light fixture appears to be in decent shape but I too would strongly recommend replacing the gasket when you install a new bulb.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much meadow and Inyo Rob. That info is so incredibly helpful.

I looked at the pure line 5811. How bright is the 12 W bulb going to be? The 5809 came in 120 V 35 W which looked like the most comparable replacement for my current 500 W incandescent white bulb.

Ordered bulb and gasket but really thinking I should cancel b/c of new discoveries. I took apart the light and discovered as this sticky "goop" inside the fixture and it appears this goop got all the way to the inside bottom of the fixture. It is not in the socket, but very close. Is it part of the aged gasket? I just used wet rag like recommended at Inyo to clean this off, but it is not helpful. So difficult to remove as it is too tacky.

Is this a battle in throwing new $ towards something that is not salvageable? Would it be wiser to use that $ and upgrade to a new light fixture + bulb? Please help. Trying to determine if I should cancel the Inyo order.

39132404885_c06fa1f573.jpg

39132395295_a584ecd815.jpg

39132405205_743932e872.jpg

Additionally, perhaps I am being rather cheap. Order total about $176. This light is aged and does look dated when you look closely. I just wonder with a new surface/tile, perhaps spending $725 more (~$900 +/-) for something that will look better/cleaner and current would be smarter. It would not be the odd, aged "thing" that stands out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.