Pool light troubleshooting

Sep 29, 2019
Tucson, AZ
I replaced two pool lights and one spa light with LED bulbs. They all came on beautifully but after about 10 seconds or so, the spa light went out and won’t come back on. I believe all are on the same circuit but I am no electrician by any means. I can independently control them from the house. I pulled the light back out and all looks normal. I did notice that the pool lights had yellow wire and the spa has gray. I assumed all were 120V but maybe the gray wire light is a different voltage? Still wouldn’t explain why it came on for 10 seconds if a lower voltage were applied. The fixture is old and the label is impossible to read. I threw the bulbs away so can’t check what was installed. I believe they are Pentair Aqualights. All are spa lights. Not sure why spa lights are installed in the pool.

Last edited:
AC,

Normally, if you can independently control them, then they each have their own circuit.. What are you using to turn them on and off from inside the house?

Are they connected to some type of automation system, like an EasyTouch or ???

Did you just install an LED bulb in each one? Or did you replace the entire light assembly?

Where are you seeing the different color wiring?

Thanks,

Jim R.

AC,

Do you have a light junction box? In most cases the power leaves the EasyTouch in one conduit and then goes to a junction box where it then is connected to each light. Do you know how your system is wired? I am assuming that your lights are 120 volt lights and not 12 volts lights.

Do you have ScreenLogic2??

Does the pool have water in it?

Do you have a voltmeter?

I am asking so many questions so that we can track down the problem.. To be honest, the most likely problem is the bulb itself.. But, it could be the relay that controls the light, or it could be the corroded contacts at the fixture where you put the bulb, or a bad connection at the junction box assuming there is one.

Thanks,

Jim R.

AC,

Do you have a light junction box? In most cases the power leaves the EasyTouch in one conduit and then goes to a junction box where it then is connected to each light. Do you know how your system is wired? I am assuming that your lights are 120 volt lights and not 12 volts lights.

Do you have ScreenLogic2??

Does the pool have water in it?

Do you have a voltmeter?

I am asking so many questions so that we can track down the problem.. To be honest, the most likely problem is the bulb itself.. But, it could be the relay that controls the light, or it could be the corroded contacts at the fixture where you put the bulb, or a bad connection at the junction box assuming there is one.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Yes I have 2 junction boxes that I found at different sides of the pool. One near the pumps and one near the house. I originally put 1 bulb in the pool and discovered it wasn’t working and didn’t have power at the receptacle near the junction box. It turned out the GFCI near the other junction box was tripped. I assumed they were all on the same GFCI but I could be wrong.

The pool does have water in it.

I misspoke earlier. Its a jandy aqualinkRS. It’s an older model.

I do have a voltmeter.

I was thinking of putting one of the working bulbs from the pool in the spa to determine if it’s a bad bulb but they are 100 bucks a pop and I don’t want to damage it if it’s getting too much power. I ordered the standard bulb to try but it won’t be here for another week. The lights in the pool are definitely 120V. I confirmed those and assumed the spa was the same.

AC,

I like the idea of installing a new bulb...

There is no way you can have too much power.. You either have 120 volts or you don't..

Normally a junction box is needed to connect the wire from the light fixture with the AC power coming from the automation. Is one of the junction boxes nearer the spa?

If so, I would open the box and see what is inside... With any luck you will find it only has the connections for the spa light. Then you could confirm that you have 120 volts going to the spa light.

Even if it has all three light connections, the grey wire should identify the one going to the spa.

I too would assume that the lights only have one GFCI...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.