Pool light transformer

samjesse

Feb 14, 2020
Sydney Australia
Hi
We moved in this house with the pool 2 lights not working, after initial check noticed that the adapter/transformer not puting out any voltage "checked on ac and dc scale", so I purchased 2 cheap transformers from Bunnings (HPM MTECOUGAR60 for Halogen lamps dimmable "mistake"), each connected to its own light (12.5v a.c. - 60VA max), after cutting the connector off the old wire and connect the new transformer, had to change the polarity to finally get the lights to work.

I noticed the lights somethimes failed to work or works but with differnet color when the pump is turned on.
removed the light bulb and saw many led chips on a flat round panel with the 12v ac written on the back. hummmm

Why does it say ac since led needs a dc?
Would it be better to connect a 12dc 200w transfermer (I purchased one but can take back)?

The local pool shope sells 12v ac 30W and suggested that this will be good enough for each light, if I get a 60w for both will be ok?

Any info to get my head around this is much appricated.

Thanks

What brand and model number are your led lights? Most that I'm aware of use a/c. There are electronics in the bulb housing that convert to DC.

Pool lights need 12V at the light. If your light has a long power cord you need to account for the voltage lost due to resistance of the wire and put 13V or 14V out from the transformer onto the wire to have 12V at the light. Pool transformers usually have different voltage taps to use the appropriate one for your setup.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Many low voltage pool lights run on 12 volt AC. I know the pal lights do. Amazon sells a 120v to 12v ac adapter for about $20 has been working great on my two pal lights.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. 12 vac. So the LED unit itself has the electronics to change the voltage as appropriate. Jandy and Pentair work this way.

The thing to be careful about when buying a generic transformer is that pool transformers have a grounded shield between the primary and secondary plus an internal overload. You can find these but they are not the super cheap kind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.