Pool light shows plaster imperfections

Dec 8, 2015
Dallas, TX
We just re-plastered with white plaster. Before this we only had the pool light on a few times. My recollection is that the plaster was quite smooth, but we did not like the glare from the light, so did not use it. We fixed the glare problem during re-plaster. But now with the white light on, the new plaster looks like it has "cellulite" - various small bumps and dips. Not a smooth look. The pool company says that is typical when some old plaster has been chipped out. Of course none of this is noticeable during the day.

I know that lights, and particularly in white plaster, magnify any imperfections, but my question is - should the plaster be smooth as a baby's rear? I am less inclined to use the light the way it is.

Pool lights will always show the imperfections. It is virtually impossible not to have some slight "waves and dimples" of a plaster surface, but still be smooth to the touch. I am sure that your original plaster had somewhat similar conditions.
It is true that some plastering companies can or will provide a more quality, smooth, and consistent finish, and some don't. Also, it can depend on the conditions, weather, when plastering, etc.
To try and determine where your pool stands, you would have to contact other contractors and visit their recently plastered pools at night and compare with your pool.

My new plaster has the same appearance. No way for it not to when the gunite is smoothed by hand and the plaster on top is smoothed by hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ramped up the RPMs and turned on the deck jets. Actually the imperfections seem more noticeable with the ripples in the water. Now I am glad I did not spend the extra remodel dollars to move the light niche and add two in the side of the pool!

What makes us more interested in using the pool light is that we replaced the old 500 W bulb with a LED bulb, so much less heat generated. Then my wife covered the inside top half of the glass lens cover with black tape. The light points toward the house, but now all the light stays in the pool and the light source is not that noticeable. It is a neat effect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hate it in mine too but it's natural. It's also done purposely in industry to find imperfections in things like boiler tubes.

They call it "shadowing." Works like a champ on any surface by laying a bright light on it.

Bp, sounds like your wife has it sorted, but as someone who hates white light, just so you know, for $10 or so you can buy a gel lens of any color that fits over the light ring...blue is nice, yellow will attract fewer bugs. With led you can also get color changing bulbs. All give a nice atmosphere, none will hide the inevitable imperfections but might diminish a bit ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.