Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Last year I had my liner replaced. I didn't notice it until this year but now I have this sorta weird shadow in the pool. The pictures below are from the year before I had the liner replaced and the next one is last year after it was replaced (May). The last one is a side view I took last year in August. I still have that half moon shadow but as far as I can tell I didn't have it until the liner replacement. This is an intellibrite 5g light and I'm wondering if maybe something is not put back together properly? I'm under the assumption is it mechanical and not electrical and this light is LED so I think (hoping!) it's not burnt out at all. Would anyone have an idea what would cause this effect and how easy it would be to repair it?

pre-liner.jpg
post-liner.jpg
side-view.jpg

To my uneducated eye it looks like the angle of the light changed from aiming downward to aiming outward more. Are those lights adjustable in the socket? (Like headlight bulbs are)

Last year I had my liner replaced. I didn't notice it until this year but now I have this sorta weird shadow in the pool. The pictures below are from the year before I had the liner replaced and the next one is last year after it was replaced (May). The last one is a side view I took last year in August. I still have that half moon shadow but as far as I can tell I didn't have it until the liner replacement. This is an intellibrite 5g light and I'm wondering if maybe something is not put back together properly? I'm under the assumption is it mechanical and not electrical and this light is LED so I think (hoping!) it's not burnt out at all. Would anyone have an idea what would cause this effect and how easy it would be to repair it?

View attachment 500057
View attachment 500058
View attachment 500059
Was a new light installed? New gasket? The lens on those lights is directional (see picture).
Don't1685850135077.png know what niche is in the pool, but should be difficult to install upside down, but the lens can be. Need to check the info that came with the light.

Same light but I think they may have replaced the ring but not positive. I was just looking at the manual and there is a narrow or wide lens adjustment. I don't know precisely what that means for the way the light looks. Looking at the two pics it's almost as if the old install was lighting from the bottom (notice the shadow on the main drain) and the new one is from the top (no shadow).

Here's the lens info from the manual.
Screenshot_20230603_234701_Drive.jpg

Same light but I think they may have replaced the ring but not positive. I was just looking at the manual and there is a narrow or wide lens adjustment. I don't know precisely what that means for the way the light looks. Looking at the two pics it's almost as if the old install was lighting from the bottom (notice the shadow on the main drain) and the new one is from the top (no shadow).

Here's the lens info from the manual.
View attachment 500075
As you can see, the beam is adjustable. In the last picture it seems the lens is set to light more of the surface than the floor.

• Wow
Reactions: PoolStored
As you can see, the beam is adjustable. In the last picture it seems the lens is set to light more of the surface than the floor.
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced it's the lens orientation now. Bummer because I don't want to mess with it! Pentair recommends replacing all that stuff any time you reassemble it and that's $90. Plus I'm a little nervous about doing it

1) I legit like the way it is now.

If you point the light down, the ends lose light.

2) even with a perfect match liner replacement and the light the same, the new liner will look different at night to a degree, the same way it does during the day.

1) I legit like the way it is now.

If you point the light down, the ends lose light.

2) even with a perfect match liner replacement and the light the same, the new liner will look different at night to a degree, the same way it does during the day.
It's about the half moon shadow to me. You can see in the old picture it wasn't there. I don't even notice the liner difference itself (different pattern anyway). I don't hate it, was just mostly trying to understand if there was an issue. You bring up a good point about the ends - if I were to guess I'd say it was set to narrow and and now it is set to wide, which it probably should have been all along.

Ultimately, it seems kinda silly that the design would create that shadow but I guess it is what it is. I doubt quote seriously ill change it. :)

Reactions: Newdude
Got in the pool this afternoon and looked closer at the light. The lens has two halves. One half, where the "N" is, has vertical lines in it and the other half, with the "W", has horizontal lines. (stock picture below, note the W at the top). Looking at the lens and the letters, that makes total sense. The vertical lines in the lens I would expect to keep the light focused straight ahead. However, this is the way my lens is set (opposite of the stock picture) and it actually seems to be spreading light at more of a wide angle! The ends of the pool have more light I think and the middle is not quite so bright. Which is counter to what I would expect based on the lens setting!
1685931569541.png

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.