Pool Light Replacement - pulling wires through conduit.

Jack & Nancy

May 30, 2022
Orlando FL
Hi. Looking for advice relating to replacing my pool light. I’m aware of the technique of securely taping pull-string to end of old light wires and pulling through conduit (and then reversing process with new light wires).

The complication that I am having is that there is an independent ground wire running through the conduit in addition to the light wire bundle. Photo is attached. The question I have is:
- should I pull just the light wire bundle through, leaving the ground wire in place in the conduit, or
- should I pull both the light wire set and the ground wire through, taped together?

Would appreciate hearing how others have handled this situation. The obvious concern is getting snagged within the conduit. Thanks.

Attachments

• 60B2219E-A684-4DAC-918D-C3A87C48E1F0.jpeg
    60B2219E-A684-4DAC-918D-C3A87C48E1F0.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hi. Looking for advice relating to replacing my pool light. I’m aware of the technique of securely taping pull-string to end of old light wires and pulling through conduit (and then reversing process with new light wires).

The complication that I am having is that there is an independent ground wire running through the conduit in addition to the light wire bundle. Photo is attached. The question I have is:
- should I pull just the light wire bundle through, leaving the ground wire in place in the conduit, or
- should I pull both the light wire set and the ground wire through, taped together?

Would appreciate hearing how others have handled this situation. The obvious concern is getting snagged within the conduit. Thanks.
If at all possible, DO NOT pull the bond wire out. The bond lug will likely break if you try to remove the wire. Cut the old light off the cord. Stirp about 6" of insulation off all six new wires. Twist the old wires and the the new wires together on each cord. Lay then across each other and then wrap a noose in each end. Tape it all together, starting about 3"-4" on the insulation of one and ending the same on the other. You will have to get that silicone out of the conduit before you pull. If it gets really hard, pull some back into the pool and try again.

Lay the new light out so that it feeds upward into the conduit and do not try to pull past a kink/twist in the wire, you will pull it apart.

For some reason I imagined fish tape being involved. I usually pull the bonding wire back to the pool(sometimes shortening the length of cable of new light close to the length that was in there) Feed my fish tape through and pull them together. I’ve been snagged a few times tying off lights when a bonding wire is ran through. But poolman is right.

Reactions: Jack & Nancy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.