Pool light problem.

DebonairGuy

Jun 11, 2023
Alabama
Hey guys! So I took my old light out because it has water in it and now I have the photos attached. I know this one is bad, but I don't know what to buy because I don't see a model number on the sticker. I went ahead and bought a new light that was crazy expensive to change colors and wanted to make sure it worked.

Attachments

• IMG20230620184759.jpg
    IMG20230620184759.jpg
    647.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG20230620184916.jpg
    IMG20230620184916.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 16873052533146260248174772663977.jpg
    16873052533146260248174772663977.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 17
Does the replacement light physically fit your pool light niche?

Is the replacement light the correct voltage for your wiring?

Is the light cord on the replacement light the correct length ?

Does the replacement light physically fit your pool light niche?

Is the replacement light the correct voltage for your wiring?

Is the light cord on the replacement light the correct length ?
Hey so the light fits, and is 120, I don't have a replacement housing because I can't figure out which one this one is or how it comes out. Is it possible to cut this cord?

No you can't cut the cord . The bulb gets changed and the the fixture gets closed up and put back. If any of the parts are compromised and you can't get those replaced then the total fixture needs to be replaced which I'm sure isn't the case. Process of elimination and what bulb strength was there should get you to the model #.

No you can't cut the cord . The bulb gets changed and the the fixture gets closed up and put back. If any of the parts are compromised and you can't get those replaced then the total fixture needs to be replaced which I'm sure isn't the case. Process of elimination and what bulb strength was there should get you to the model #.
Hey so If you can see in the inside of the fixture ,on the photo I attached, it looks like its rusted. Like it needs another entire fixture. If so I am unsure how it comes out and how I where I would find this cord underground

Can you tell if water got into the fixture becuase the lens gasket failed or if it got in from some other point. If it was the lens gasket, and the inside looks fine (not all corroded) you can replace the bulb and gasket and re-install. Make sure it's GFCI protected.

If it was leaking from something other than the lens gaskets, you will need a new fixture. As long as the new fixture fits the niche you are fine. I am not sure with Hayward but I will guess they sell the same fixture with different lenght cords and different wattage bulbs. If you want to put your new color changing bulb in you will also need to install a new gasket (typically they are not reusable). Since the cord will likely be a lot longer than you need, it can be cut to length, just leave enough extra cord in the niche to be able to pull the fixture up to the decking so the bulb can be changed w/o needing to drain the pool. When pulling the old fixture out tie a string/rope/wire on to the end so you use it to pull the new cord though the conduit.

Typically with a niche there is conduit running from it to a junction box by your pool equipment or under your diving board. Many time the conduit breaks off the back of the niche becuase of the settling and it's then seal up with two part epoxy puddy. If you are in this situation, replacing the light might require fixing/replacing the niche and/or conduit. Replacing the niche would generally mean a new liner too. On other brand niches, it's possible to install a bulkhead fitting where the conduit attached. To do this you need to drain the pool to below the niche and also dig out back side of the niche and mess with the conduit.

Water got into it because the screw that holds it together at the bottom rusted and fell off into the pool. Am I going to have to dig a new hole all the way to the box?
Likely no. But it will depend on what you have for conduit and what condition it is in.

Start with taking some photos of the niche and where the cord enters it. if it't not all sealed up with epoxy it should be easy to replace the fixture, depending how easy it is to pull the cord through the conduit.

If the inside the fixture is not all corroded, clean it, dry it and install a new bulb along with new seals.

Pulling the cord though conduit isn't to difficult, helps to have someone on each end. Depends on the length of the conduit and number of bends.

Likely no. But it will depend on what you have for conduit and what condition it is in.

Start with taking some photos of the niche and where the cord enters it. if it't not all sealed up with epoxy it should be easy to replace the fixture, depending how easy it is to pull the cord through the conduit.

If the inside the fixture is not all corroded, clean it, dry it and install a new bulb along with new seals.

Pulling the cord though conduit isn't to difficult, helps to have someone on each end. Depends on the length of the conduit and number of bends.
Found this sticker and I have no idea what it means but I cannot find these numbers online.

Attachments

• IMG20230801000350.jpg
    IMG20230801000350.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
try searching for "SP0583", "SP0584" or "SP0582" on Haywards site.

Be aware that Hayward has duplicate items with different part numbers depending if they are from retailers like Amazon or if they are from a pool professional.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.