Pool light options in Above Ground Pool

I also share your concern about having anything in the water connected to an electric cord. It is a LONG cord so that helps keep the business end away from the water. For extra protection you should have a GFCI outlet for it AND the pump.

We love the solar floating lights you can find a Walmart and such. Yeah they don't last but a couple of years but they are sure pretty when they work. When they stop I just get new ones.

Reactions: jaboc
Thanks @kimkats . The idea of not having to mess around with the light and being able to turn them on and off with alexa is always a bit of a draw for me! Do the solar lights last much into the night, and do you find yourself removing them to cover with a solar blanket?

I also found these, which seem to be a little closer to what you're using... still battery rather than solar. I'm assuming they'd work for a season!

The other thing I wonder about is bugs... will they be more drawn to the pool if there are lights on?

The other thing I wonder about is bugs... will they be more drawn to the pool if there are lights on?
That depends on your location and to what. My lights are useless to me from about late April to late October. I can't run them for 5 minutes without loading the pool with bugs, complete coverage most times. We get the Spring junebug run, which for us is way into Summer, then we get mayfly hatch from back lake, which stays until the evening temps really start falling.

Reactions: bradgray and jaboc
That depends on your location and to what. My lights are useless to me from about late April to late October. I can't run them for 5 minutes without loading the pool with bugs, complete coverage most times. We get the Spring junebug run, which for us is way into Summer, then we get mayfly hatch from back lake, which stays until the evening temps really start falling.
That sounds awful. I know we have a few hot weeks / bad streaks in Iowa, but NOTHING like that! Good to know though "I must be able to easily shut lights off" - CHECK

I don’t love the hanging down in the pool ones mainly because I think they would interfere with my robot. I also feel like they are way expensive for the light they provide- but really everything “pool” is.
I had one of these & it lasted 2 seasons or so
FamilyPoolFun Skimmer Light for Above Ground Pools https://a.co/d/h8uCUQG
If they go on sale again I will probably get another one. It was fairly illuminating- I have a utility pole light near my pool so that muted some of the effects & it would have been alot cooler if it was darker out there. I was able to just keep the remote inside & turn it off & on from my kitchen which was nice.
BBD6BBC2-5F3A-4137-AB38-453A5234059F.jpeg4A770254-B1E1-42F4-8711-D1FD20A93373.jpeg
In july 2021 I went with these placed on the deck posts around the pool & in the pump area - 1 still reliably works. I’ll be getting more as they were very useful.
Solar Lights Outdoor 6 Pack, 100LED/3 Modes 270° Lighting Angle Motion Sensor Security Lights, IP65 Waterproof Wall Lights Solar Powered, Bright for Backyard Garden Fence Patio Front Door https://a.co/d/99u1DLK
D7EAC970-2BDB-4A4C-8369-DE24BEB1C6DB.jpegB5A547E8-F55A-45A8-9E2A-27DA7CFE3610.jpeg
The aqualuminator looks good but they’re expensive & since I use a fountain on my top return it would need to be placed on the bottom return which would make removing it for winter an unpleasant task for me in 60 degree water 🥶
Honestly- we don’t do a ton of night swimming anyway, the mosquitoes will carry you off out here but it’s nice to look at a lit up pool for sure.

I like this light and have used it for two seasons, no issues. I don't leave it in over winter and remove during closing. The cord slips under the top cap for a cleaner install.

The aqualuminator looks good but they’re expensive & since I use a fountain on my top return it would need to be placed on the bottom return which would make removing it for winter an unpleasant task for me in 60 degree water 🥶
Honestly- we don’t do a ton of night swimming anyway, the mosquitoes will carry you off out here but it’s nice to look at a lit up pool for sure.

I had one, I did not like it. Why?

- I went through 2 bulbs in 3 seasons, and they are not cheap.
- I liked the jet from my eyeball fitting better than the jet from the Aqualuminator (better skimming action)
- You have to replace the whole return fitting with the Aqualuminator fitting. The bulb removes from the inside. There is an O-ring on the back of the bulb that creates a seal, and then then hole for the electrical connections are behind that. That means when you unscrew the face and remove the bulb from inside the pool, water comes pouring out the back end of the fitting on the outside of the pool. They recommend you hold a folded towel over it to stop the flow. I guess that is fine, unless like me your return fitting is under the deck that goes around your pool. That makes this a two person job.
- The inside of the fitting has no threads (because of the O-ring seal) so you cannot use a standard threaded return plug for the winter. You have to use a smooth expandable stopper. However the inside of the fitting is tapered with the narrow end on the inside, and mine was also coated with pool lube since I lube the O-ring. Meaning that expandable stopper wants to pop right out, and it did one winter - draining my pool down to the return and creating a skating rink in my backyard.
- I really didn't find the light itself so all fired great. Granted my pool is 27' round, but still, it only lit up a small spot.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had one, I did not like it. Why?

- I went through 2 bulbs in 3 seasons, and they are not cheap.
- I liked the jet from my eyeball fitting better than the jet from the Aqualuminator (better skimming action)
- You have to replace the whole return fitting with the Aqualuminator fitting. The bulb removes from the inside. There is an O-ring on the back of the bulb that creates a seal, and then then hole for the electrical connections are behind that. That means when you unscrew the face and remove the bulb from inside the pool, water comes pouring out the back end of the fitting on the outside of the pool. They recommend you hold a folded towel over it to stop the flow. I guess that is fine, unless like me your return fitting is under the deck that goes around your pool. That makes this a two person job.
- The inside of the fitting has no threads (because of the O-ring seal) so you cannot use a standard threaded return plug for the winter. You have to use a smooth expandable stopper. However the inside of the fitting is tapered with the narrow end on the inside, and mine was also coated with pool lube since I lube the O-ring. Meaning that expandable stopper wants to pop right out, and it did one winter - draining my pool down to the return and creating a skating rink in my backyard.
- I really didn't find the light itself so all fired great. Granted my pool is 27' round, but still, it only lit up a small spot.
I agree- It seems tumultuous for what you get especially if you don’t have a simple setup. I watched some videos on it & decided against it for my situation.
I ordered a nitelighter at a steep discount (amazon warehouse) but it didn’t work so I just returned it & didn’t reorder because I saw in person how short the portion of the cord was between the transformer/button & where it plugs 🔌 in. It would mean I had to walk all the way around my deck to turn it on every time, there’s no way to leave it on & control it with a smart plug or something. You have to push the button every time & then it cuts off in 2 hrs. I initially thought I could mount that part on my deck somewhere.
I really think there should be better options available - maybe all of us tfpr’s could collaborate & invent the perfect solution. There are so many out there that are almost great but have some weird flaw.

Honestly- we don’t do a ton of night swimming anyway, the mosquitoes will carry you off out here but it’s nice to look at a lit up pool for sure
Riiiiiiiiiiiight ??? Every last lit up pool pic I see here makes me swat the back of my neck from muscle memory. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I had the Aqualuminator and liked how it threw the water straight down the side in the oval pool. Can't remember the last time anybody went in a night. Went thru 3 bulbs in the 8 years it was up. My pool store sold an assembly of the tapered plugs with fender washers on both sides and a bolt with a wingnut. These would be better if they had LED bulbs.

I had the Aqualuminator and liked how it threw the water straight down the side in the oval pool. Can't remember the last time anybody went in a night. Went thru 3 bulbs in the 8 years it was up. My pool store sold an assembly of the tapered plugs with fender washers on both sides and a bolt with a wingnut. These would be better if they had LED bulbs.

That is the exact plug that came out of mine one winter.

• Wow
Reactions: JoeSelf
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.