Pool Light Junction Box

ghuber

May 11, 2010
Hi All,

I have a pool light junction box in my yard for my IG pool. As it turns out, I had an addition put on and now this thing is in a bad location -- sticking right up out of the ground in the middle of a walkway into my yard.

I was originally thinking of trying to move it over a foot or two from where it exists, but a friend of mine said I could just cut down the conduit and wire it into a sealed (waterproof) junction box and bury it right where it is underground.

Anyone have any experience doing this? Good or bad idea?

Pic attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0779 (002).jpg
    IMG_0779 (002).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 589
Afaik there is no legal way to splice a cable in a buried conduit run without bringing it to the surface in a handhole or box.

It is almost impossible to keep such a burried box waterproof and free of corrosion long term.

Is your friend an electrician?

The location and height of that box is in the electrical code. The big issue is, the pipe that goes from that box to the pool light is "flooded", and the box is required to be a specific height above the water height to keep from flooding the connection box.

Article 680.24 of the National Electrical code states:

The junction box must be located not less than 4 in. above the ground or permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, or outdoor hot tub deck, or not less than 8 in. above the maximum water level.

So, no it can not be buried.

Additionally, it must be at least 4 feet away form the inside pool wall.

And, to add more specificity, you can't just buy any junction box the code also states:
The junction box must be listed as a swimming pool junction box and must be:
(1) Equipped with threaded entries or a nonmetallic hub,
(2) Constructed of copper, brass, or corrosion-resistant material approved by the authority having jurisdiction, and
(3) Provide electrical continuity between metal raceways and grounding terminals within the junction box.

"listed" is the key word. The manufacturer of the box must have it tested and certified for pool use.

When it comes down to it, you have to use that box and it has to be at least 4 inches above the ground.

Great info! So I guess I should move it. Any idea what that would involve? I'm thinking I have to dig all the way down to the pool wall to see if I can physically shift where the conduit is laying? I mean I only need to move it a foot or two to the left or right from where it currently sits.

Is your friend an electrician?

The location and height of that box is in the electrical code. The big issue is, the pipe that goes from that box to the pool light is "flooded", and the box is required to be a specific height above the water height to keep from flooding the connection box.

Article 680.24 of the National Electrical code states:

So, no it can not be buried.

Additionally, it must be at least 4 feet away form the inside pool wall.

And, to add more specificity, you can't just buy any junction box the code also states:

"listed" is the key word. The manufacturer of the box must have it tested and certified for pool use.

When it comes down to it, you have to use that box and it has to be at least 4 inches above the ground.

Great info! So I guess I should move it. Any idea what that would involve? I'm thinking I have to dig all the way down to the pool wall to see if I can physically shift where the conduit is laying? I mean I only need to move it a foot or two to the left or right from where it currently sits.
You may be able to do that, but you will need to figure out which direction the coduit to teh pad goes.

Just be careful, don't bend the pipe to the point that it wil bend/pinch. If you ever needed to pull a new wire it wold be impossible.

Can't route the walk around it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.