George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So as part of a recent SLAM in removed the pool light and cleaned it and the niche. My light is located 4-5 feet below the pool deck and I could not reach it from the deck. I had to go into the pool and below the surface of the water to reach it. This made removing the screw holding the light very difficult as I had to come up for air abot 7 times before I got it removed. The light is hwavy and lifting it out of the pool onto the deck was not fun. The niche had a fair amount of algae in it and as it was released nade the water very cloudy and difficulf to see what I was during. Installing the light back into the pool was just as hard and because of the salt in the water i had trying staying under to reinsert the mounting screw. Overall It was a very difficult thing for me to complete and I am not sure I could do it again unless there is an easier way to do it. Does anyone have any tips or ticks to use to make the job easier.

I actually used a mask to keep the algae and debris coming out of the niche from geeting into my eyes.

The most difficult was staying under the water as the salt makes the water bouyant and keep pushing me to the top of the water. Maybe a snorkel and set of weights are needed.

I always had the hardest time putting pressure on the screw holding in the niche as it was a phillips head - just kept pushing myself away from the wall. I changed it to a stainless deck screw with a square bit end. Made it much easier to remove. Also once removed it should float; just let it float then get out of the pool and pull it up by the cord. Still, I agree - it's always a PITA!

Recently, I cleaned behind the light with a brush (housing that is) and a real PITA. Then I used a microfiber towel (soft) and moved back and forth and green little clumps came out. Dropped to the floor and I vacuumed up. Gave me a thought. What if one took a shop vac hose and filled with bleach (not a lot and you would need 2 people. Place the hose near the light and the other person can place hose on blower side of shop vac to shoot bleach straight into the crevices in and around the light. With the hose attachments, you could have a small opening at the end. Of course, you would need goggles and then air can be used from time to time to try to loosen everything up behind the light. May be easier than removing the light.

Just a thought that water does not circulate too well back there and air may be a simple solution. I know that my light bulb had to be replaced. The guy I hired wanted $50 for the labor. Because I had to jump in the pool and help him, he was paid $40. This may be an easier way to clean back there, just like brushing the wall and floors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.