Pool leak

Houstex2020

Jul 12, 2020
Houston Texas
Hello folks. New to this forum. I have lived in this house for 20 years now and I think the pool was built in the early 80s I’m guessing if not older. Over the years , I have always noticed that when I turn on the pump , the water level goes so low fast until it stops at the skimmer level. If I leave it like that the water level goes about 2 inches below the skimmer lip level After couple of days.

this year , the water level dropped to about a foot below the skimmer level. Ive suspected all along The leak is from the main drain. I have broken now all the concrete around the pool and Exposed all the pipings. To my surprised I cant find a line that connects to the main drain. Could it be that it’s connected to the skimmer since the skimmer has 2 holes ??

I am thinking to empty my pool and just plugged the main drain and plug the other hole on the skimmer. I am so tired of dealing with this problem for 20 years now.

please help !

Attachments

• 7A2EFBD7-EB3B-4A14-8826-BF34A2C5600F.jpeg
    7A2EFBD7-EB3B-4A14-8826-BF34A2C5600F.jpeg
    651.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

Main drains are often connected through the skimmer so that if the pool water level falls below the skimmer mouth the pump will not run dry and continue to have water flow from the main drain connection.

Do you have more than one skimmer?

No, the main drain is connected to only one of the skimmers.

Do you have two holes open on the bottom of both skimmers?

There is no telling how your pool is plumbed. You will need to plug one hole at a time and see what happens with your leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.