Pool Leak

David Link

Sep 25, 2018
Minnesota
So this year when I pulled off my winter cover I notice that the water level was lower than what is usually is previous years. I just presumed it was due to evaporation and filled the pool up to the recommend level. I noticed over a few days the water level was dropping, there are no leaks in the plumbing or equipment, also I have looked around the outside of the entire pool and cannot find anything suggesting a leak, but when you are loosing 6+ inches over a 24hr period you know that there has to be a leak. I have done the bucket test and the bucket barely lost any water where the pool did. This pool is only 5 years old. What is the best way to find the leak. Do you let the water drain down and hope it stops at some point to help dial in where the leak may be coming from?

Last edited:
Do you have a main drain in the floor of the pool? If so that would be one place to check. You can also get leak detection dye or food coloring and squirt some in slowly around the perimeter and watch to see if the dye migrated to a specific spot on the pool wall. That is probably were a leak is located. How low was the water when you opened?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.