Pool leak, underground water being squeezed or condensation.

Aug 7, 2022
Rhode Island
Hi All!

Complete newbie here. Never had a pool before.

We just completed having our 24x54 pool installed. We put water 1” above the white marker line to ensure no water leak and checked it the following day. Water remained above the water line. We let the water run all day and over night. Getting up in the morning I have 22” of water filled and noticed water coming from under the pool in a small section. At first I thought it was a water leak but after reviewing this forum I learned it may be condensation or water being squeezed out of the ground. in order determine what it could be, I shut off the running water, doing the bucket test and will reexamine tomorrow.

We have been in the middle of a heat wave for weeks and have not had rain in almost a month. Our water table is always low.

I am attaching a picture for your advice.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

The Pool Newbie.

Attachments

• 5F0D764F-2AF9-43B7-92C5-D8F47EF9CC70.jpeg
    5F0D764F-2AF9-43B7-92C5-D8F47EF9CC70.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 30
If there were no soggy spots prior to laying the liner, sorry, but with that dry ground and the localized puddling, sure looks like leaking pool water to me. Also, if leaking water the spot will only grow in size or wet, so that's another test. If it were anything else from outside, it should dry quickly.

Last edited:
Thanks Toxophlite, After the hot day today I checked the pool water level and it is unchanged. The bucket dropped down a half an inch.

However the puddle did grow slightly. New picture attached. The edge of the rock was the line this morning. As you can see it has grown half the size of the rock. Would a leak be that slight?

Attachments

• 96AF6E44-E01D-423B-B212-5687BDC5A940.jpeg
    96AF6E44-E01D-423B-B212-5687BDC5A940.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 27
If there were no soggy spots prior to laying the liner, sorry, but with that dry ground and the localized puddling, sure looks like leaking pool water to me. Also, if leaking water the spot will only grow in size or wet, so that's another test. If it were anything else from outside, it should dry quickly.

I have an update. My pool level has barely changed. Only a 1/4” in two days with 90 degree weather. My wet spot outside the pool has increased slightly.

I did the dye test and did not see anything to give me an impression of a leak. But not sure if a pin sized hole would show anything.

Would a pin sized hole in the liner, condensation under pool or underground water being squeezed up act this way?

I am at a standstill until I figure it out. Do not want to waste money on water if I need to drain it.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Was the base completely dry when you installed the liner? If so, yes, it might sweat a bit on the bottom of the liner, but no where near that amount of water to be exiting from under. That dry ground should not be puddling like that and growing to boot. Check all around the edge seam. What does your installer/retailer say about it?

One more thing to try and this will determine which water is outside the pool. You can treat the water in the pool with chlorine so you say how ? Simply approximate the gallons per the height filled so far and add 3 ppm chlorine mixed well. Tomorrow try to collect some by the puddle. If it's pool water it will be very evident showing chlorine when you test it.

Reactions: The Pool Newbie
Was the base completely dry when you installed the liner? If so, yes, it might sweat a bit on the bottom of the liner, but no where near that amount of water to be exiting from under. That dry ground should not be puddling like that and growing to boot. Check all around the edge seam. What does your installer/retailer say about it?

Found the culprit. I had to drain my pool, get in and look for the problem. Right near the muddy area outside the pool, it looks like the installer stepped on a screw (see attached picture). I don’t think the liner manufacture would cause this. What are your thoughts?

Right now I am out $300 for a new liner (Pool Factory discounted new liner), ~ $200 for water, need to dispose of old liner and get new liner installed. Not a good start for my first pool.

Attachments

• F6874E50-549F-4227-ABF9-E151A747906C.png
    F6874E50-549F-4227-ABF9-E151A747906C.png
    463.8 KB · Views: 30
Looking at the picture again, I don't think a screw did it. It looks more from the adjoining scuff marks that the liner was drug over something sharp edged. Each cut is where it rested.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at the picture again, I don't think a screw did it. It looks more from the adjoining scuff marks that the liner was drug over something sharp edged. Each cut is where it rested.

Pool installer said he does not believe it is a screw. He is saying most likely happened at the manufacturing plant during processing.

So I got the manufacturer saying they did not do it and would only reimburse if a broken seam. The installer saying he did not do it and to go after the manufacturer. I am the innocent one in the middle with an empty pool in my backyard of which I just spent a ton of money on.

At this point I have not asked either party to pay for the new liner. Doing some research to figure it out.

I hope the installer at least does right and installs the new liner for no charge as his worker stated right after the install. When I called for the reinstall he said he would get workers to do it and never asked for money. So far I can not get a date on when they will do that though.

We shall see what happens in the coming days. But it has been 6 days since the install and 5 days since we found the leak.

I’m sorry to hear about this! I hope they reinstall the new liner for you.

Yes they reinstalled the new liner for no charge. Still will not take responsibility for damage. Watching how they install new liner, one worker went to the exact same spot where damage was done, he put his back to the pool and starting hoping backwards with his boots on to push liner towards pool wall. I am more certain this is where damage was done. These workers were in sync and you can see they all have their specific roles. I am certain this guy has his routine and probably starts at the same location every time.

Not to mention, I asked the worker to cut out a piece were the liner was damaged. He cut out a different portion, took his box cutter and cut a hole in the seam then said send this to the manufacturer. In good conscious I cannot do that.

Also when removing the old liner he took his box cutter and went around the pool cutting the liner. In doing so in many instances he touch the pool wall with the box cutter. This is another future concern since I will be having a salt water pool.

What irritated me even more, I was left with the old liner and had to cut it up myself in order to dispose it.

I would never recommend NARCISO Enterprises to anyone going forward.

• Sad
Reactions: Decoy205
Saddly, this method and general attitude sounds exactly the same as our installer. Wonder if its something they are taught in pool install school. Our 1st liner lasted 1 season and ended up with lots of little holes in it. They looked like little golf divots. Never knew what caused them, but after 2 rolls of clear flexseal tape, i had enough. Got a new liner ordered at the end of last season and had it installed in May. So far, zero issues, but had a heck of a time convincing the installer to come back since the pool settled a little in spots. Only cost me 900.00 total to replace it. 500 on the labor, and 400 on the liner. Thankfully, we timed it to the beginning of the season so I had no water in it to start.

When my installer did the liner the took off their shoes. They didn’t do the cardboard shoe thing but definitely didn’t wear their boots. :oops:

There was a tiny bit of dirt from their socks most likely that I’ve had a difficult time getting out. I hope badly that there are no issues with the liner this winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.