Pool leak question

Aug 27, 2018
Plano
I’ve been fighting leaks
Since I’ve owned this pool. Have had multiple companies out and they all say there is a leak, but they can’t find it.

My question is this, as you can see in the pic both the spillover spa and po are dropping water at the same level…. The water has dropped be low the skimmer entrance.

The fact that they both drop at the same rate has to mean something right? If the leak was only in the pool would that mean the pool would drop faster or does the fact they are all connected through plumbing underneath the pool mean it could level it all out? For what it is worth the water is right up to the top in both skimmers.

Any help is appreciated as this has been a 3+ year struggle for me.

Attachments

• 3296A675-2128-4563-9C22-F553C8C3B531.jpeg
    3296A675-2128-4563-9C22-F553C8C3B531.jpeg
    689.6 KB · Views: 13
N.

This is a good time to find a leak as it is too cold to swim, and too cold for anything to grow in the pool.

Generally, gunite/plaster pools leak at the following places..

Skimmer
Return lines
Lights
Main drain.

All these items are different levels in the pool. Just let the pool drain down until it stops. If is stops draining when the water is just below the skimmer, then something in the skimmer or skimmer plumbing is bad. If it stops just below the light, then most likely the light niche is leaking, etc.

It is best if you know the rate at which it is leaking so you can tell the difference between the leak and evaporation. So, it if leaks about 1" a day, keep track of what is happening each day, and when it only drops 1/8th inch a day, you will know that is just evaporation.

You would do this with the pump off.

Once you know at what level the leak is, it become a lot easier to find and fix it.

Another thing you can do, is fill the pool back up and turn on the pump. Record where the water level is and let it run 12 or 24 hours and record where the water level is. Fill the pool back up and let it sit with the pump off for 12 or 24 hours and record the water levels. The idea of this test is to see if it leaks at the same rate with the pump running and with the pump off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: nemeth8
Good stuff! It is about an inch below the entrance for the skimmers and the water is full in the skimmers. So I am ruling that out. The one time a company did find a leak and fix it, it was in the skimmer throat. I will let it drop and see where it stops... I was doing this a couple weeks ago but it was going to freeze so I had to fill it up so I was able to run it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.