Pool ladder base anchoring suggestions

bob22

Sep 1, 2008
Philadelphia
Daughter needs to add a ladder to her in-ground cement pool.
She has selected this from Saftron: (link to page here)

Water Plant Building Rectangle Grass

The ladder system uses a surface mounted base that needs to be anchored to the cement pool deck.
This is the base that receives the uprights for surface mounting; 5/16" diameter screws are recommended for anchoring into concrete:
Automotive lighting Lamp Tableware Table Wood

Instructions for install from mfg are poor (links to mfg site: install instructions: here; product page: here) and parts they provide to install involve a plastic anchor that I don't think will withstand repeated removal of anchoring screws as she'll need to remove ladder each fall for pool cover installation.

I'm thinking some sort of stainless-steel metal anchor into the concrete with a removable screw/bolt would be more durable.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to the best product to use in this situation.

Especially for a rail that will be removed, these are a better choice. Look up rail anchor online. Saftron makes a polymer one, but it is not as secure.
A series of small holes drilled in a 4" circle will allow enough of the deck to be removed to anchor them with a good anchor cement. That's what I used to do before getting a large roto-hammer and 4" bit.

Attachments

• 1657746753348.png
    1657746753348.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 5
The holes need to be 8" apart. The easiest way to assure the rail fits is to mark the holes, drill out the front hole. Doesn't matter which you consider front. The hole needs to be deep enough that the top of the anchor is flush with the deck, no lower or higher. If the hole is too deep add a little of what came out back.

Mix just enough compound for that hole, following instructions. I like it about the consistency of thick pancake batter. Too thin and it loses all strength. Use a small stick to push the compound down into the hole to remove air pockets. I like a paint stir stick, thin and wide. Work the stick up and down as you pour.

Many times you can get the stir stick for free and an inexpensive plastic paint bucket at Home Depot if they are in Canada. Get a 1 quart bucket, you will only mix about a pint. Always mix a little more than needed so the pour is monlithic when cured. After the pour, clean the bucket and stick for the next step.

Set the first anchor using a piece of 1.5" pipe in the anchor and a level to set it plumb in both directions. That is important. While that compound is setting drill the second hole.

Attach the remaining anchor to the rail and insert the rail into the front anchor and the new hole. Pour the compound into the second hole around the anchor and let it set for at least 30 minutes. Don't be tempted to "wiggle" to see if it is set, you will weaken the install. Take that time to clean up.

You can then remove the rail, slide on the escutcheons and reinstall. Best if it isn't used for 24 hours, regardless of what the cement instructions say.

The pool was built by the original home owner in the late 70’s, and was surrounded by 18 x 18 inch ’diamond‘ cement tiles Like shown here (Cement tile) He later removed these and used more esthetic smaller pavers. The aluminium ladder anchors were identical to your brass anchor image shown above. These were attached to a 9 x 18 half tile using large steel o rings and nuts and bolts through the half tile, and set below the pavers. Last summer, I noticed some ladder wiggle and dug up the pavers to discover, what I just described, and that both anchors had corroded and one was completely detached; they were the originals, so had 40+ years of use.
The anchors need to be encased in cement, that’s for sure! So I guess I would need to give up on the pavers near the pool ladder and pour a proper cement base to encase the anchors. Or would there be another alternative? Thanks again! The ladder is an aluminium Saftron -like 3 step in ground pool ladder.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.