Pool Just Opened - A Few Q’s

What Julian date is on the chlorine you are using. 5 digit number. Should start or end in 20.

Usually printed on the bottle. Like a use by date code on a regular product.

What liquid chlorine brand are you using?

is it to late to ask for pictures I love seeing pools turn from green to clear. Just follow what Mknauss says I have read 100's if not 1000's of posts with the end being a clean clear pool :) usually on the bottle , after 15 minutes i would just add more if you arnt getting were ya need to be add a little extra the key is to hit the slam level and hold it there giving the cl time to kill everything, get the crud out of the bottom of the pool, brush sides and bottom after you get all the crud from the bottom. as for the bleach your adding could be old it has a short shelf life. speaking of I better go check mine lol

We just did our final test and chlorine add for the day. We went a little heavier on the chlorine and tested from a part of the deep end across from the return we’ve been adding the chlorine by. When we tested it 15 minutes after the add, the FC had jumped to 13 and the CC was 3.5. Hopefully this is good news.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The FC was back down to 2.0 this morning (from 13 last night). CC was unchanged at 3.5 and CYA was up to 40. Followed the app's recommendation and just added another 3 gals of chlorine. Also just vacuumed and brushed again. It's been unusually warm here for this time of year (~90 degrees) so perhaps that's a factor? We'll see how today goes...

Your CYA cannot change unless you are adding it or you are draining a lot of water. So pick one you are most confident of and use it.

Only FC during the SLAM. Test CC on the morning test of your OCLT.

Air temperature has little effect on water chemistry. Water temperature of 90F+ will result in more FC loss and higher degradation of CYA. I see up to 15 ppm loss of CYA per month during summer.

We added more CYA yesterday afternoon to try to get it up to 30. Seems like there was a bit of a lag and it overshot the mark. We haven't drained any water and actually added some yesterday since the level was getting a little low due to the back-washing.
We just tested FC again ~15 minutes after the chlorine add and it's back up to 7.
Just edited my signature to add the TF-100 test kit.

Just did another FC test and chlorine add. FC was back down to 4. Added another 2.5 gals per app recommendation. Confirmed with the local hardware store that the liquid chlorine was fresh this season but they don't have a date (and there doesn't appear to be one on the label).

Reactions: mknauss
Yes, those organics have chowed on many gallons of the stuff so farand I've been starting to wonder if they'll ever be satisfied. Can't wait to get to that crystal clear water! :)

I'm thinking about whether we should do anything different with the chlorinator, which uses chlorine pucks. I turned it down so it's currently a little less than half way. Am I right that the pucks tend to bring up the CYA?

You should not have any pucks in the pool. They are raising your CYA which means you need a higher SLAM level FC.

The use of pucks for daily maintenance is over. You can use them when you go away from the pool for a few days, but daily maintenance needs to be with liquid chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.