Pool just closed without chemicals

rk05

Jan 20, 2018
cincy ohio
So the pool builder just closed our pool the other day and I noticed that they did NOT put any chemicals in like they usually do. Should I just open a few spots around the pool cover (sorry inground) to pour them in?

They have put them in the past and the pool has always opened crystal clear so I don't want to open next year to the pool green!

Thanks

I would call them first to discuss. Let them know that to your knowledge nothing was added. Did you run a full set of water test results before they closed? The products you "might" need to add could be muriatic acid and chlorine, both of which require the system operating to mix the products in the water.

By the way, what type of pool and equipment do you have? Your signature is blank. Please update your signature from the Profile>Settings menu options. See my signature as an example. That might influence some of the guidance you receive.

This is one reason I close the pool myself. When we purchased our home from my wife's parents, we used their pool company for the first year while I learned about pools from reading TFP. After watching these clowns open, close and improperly maintain the pool while charging me a bundle, I fired them and took over all things pool related. It has worked out well and saved me a bundle.

I am going to wait on our bill to see what it says. We have cameras on the pool and equipment, 1) for safety/security 2) because I wanted to start doing the pool opening/closing myself and figured this would be the best way to document it. I did not see them put in anything except for antifreeze.

They usually put in 3 things from what I remember: Algae preventer, chlorine and a metal something.

I did not check the water condition before it was closed other than chlorine level on the app which was good. They never check it just put in those chemicals I believe on both closing AND opening.

They were there a whole 15mins this time and for $500 I think I will take on this process myself!

• Wow
Reactions: Texas Splash
It can't see any possible way they would have blown out the lines in 15 minutes, which could be a real problem for you here in Ohio. Do you know if they did?

The pool has two main drains, skimmer and 4 returns. I watched the full video from both cameras to see what they were doing when so that I know how for next year. They started with blowing out the skimmer first and that seemed to blow everything out. Then went the main drains and they blew out. The 4 returns though they went as fast as the guy at the pool can put on the cap and then switched valves to the other return.

They spent a half hour on it last year so not that much more time per dollar spent.

In the end, if the pool lines would crack due to them freezing I probably wouldn't be able to hold them responsible anyway? I might as well do it myself so at least I know I got the majority of the water out. I do my own sprinkler system and buying a Cyclone pump so I should be good!

So I guess going back to my original question
What kind of pool do you have ?

What were the chemical levels at closing ?

What was the test method/type ?

What chemicals are you expecting to add ?

The devil is in the details, they say. And this could go 20 ways, depending. :)

Sorry I keep forgetting to fill in my signature.

We have a 16'x32' vinyl liner pool.

Chemistry of pool at closing is unknown.

Pool builder NEVER did a chemistry test when they closed OR opened the pool. They ALWAYS added the same chemicals.

I didn't look at my past receipts last night but what I remember it was the three chemicals I listed in my above post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't look at my past receipts last night but what I remember it was the three chemicals I listed in my above post.

Pool builder NEVER did a chemistry test when they closed OR opened the pool. They ALWAYS added the same chemicals.
This is what's wrong with the industry. If you don't know where you are, how could you possibly know where you want to be ?

We call it dump and pray. They dump a bunch if stuff in (at your expense) and pray it doesn't make things worse.

Without your own reliable test kit, there isn't much you can do unless you also want to dump and pray. Their tests are designed to sell you chemicals and we don't put much stock in them.

I have a test kit and checked the pool about 3 weeks before closing but that was the last time and I don't remember all of the numbers but they were good.

So I guess I could do the same thing or wait and see what it looks like when I open it. My main thing with putting them in now is that the water is not circulating but they would put them in Right before they shut off the pump so I guess the water wasn't really circulating then.

You can pop the shallow end (or some of it) and brush for a few minutes to mix it up. That will get you a fairly accurate FC and CYA reading. From there you can raise to 50% of SLAM level (FC/CYA Levels) and add polyquat 60, or just raise to SLAM and skip the PQ. I diluted my PQ, about a cup at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. When pouring those buckets in (however many it took), the mixed really well. Brush well for both chlorine and PQ. The Brush can reach a fairly big area from a smaller opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.