Pool jets stopped circulating

vkhswim

In The Industry
Nov 19, 2022
San Ramon, CA
Hi All,
Our pool motor was up and running but today I observed motor is on and water from Spa drained into pool and pool jets are not circulating and motor makes loud noise
I cleaned filer as well and removed dirt and leaves
Can anyone help what is the issue and how to resolve
Thanks

vk,

You have an automated valve in front of your pump, this is called the 'Intake' valve. You also have an automated valve after your heater, and your chlorine feeder. This is called the 'Return' valve. When you switch from the Pool mode to the Spa mode, or from the Spa mode to the Pool mode, both of these valves should turn about 180 degrees. The important part is that they both turn.. Switch back and forth and let me know if they both move like they should in both the Pool mode and Spa mode.

Thanks for the pics, but I need a couple more like your last one showing how all the pipes interconnect. Back up a few steps and show us pics from different angles.

I don't see anything obvious yet.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, If I make some assumptions that you can confirm with the next round of pictures it looks like the Intake valve is set to the SPA while the Return valve is set to 90% Pool and 10% Spa Spillover.

This drained the spa and the pump is running dry.

@vkhswim what control system do you have for your pool?

spa drain.jpeg

Allen,

I did not 'see' that when I looked at the pics, but I think you are 100% correct.

I always assumed the valves were not moving correctly, but I could not initially tell what was what, from the pics.

My eyes hurt now... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

@vkhswim below is the pic of your Intake actuator and valve we are discussing.

The actuator on top of the valve has a 3 position toggle switch on the bottom or side that is ON1 - OFF - ON2.

Flip the toggle switch from one side to the other and tell us if the valve rotates.

7c207b0a-2ece-45ac-b72c-8b0561c2c91a-jpeg.463202

Last edited:
VK,

Thanks for the new pics they are perfect...

Did you see where I asked you to check that both valves move? Allen and I think that one of your two automated valves is in the wrong position or not moving at all.

Tell us what the Intake and Return valves do when you switch between the Pool mode and Spa mode... and then back to pool mode again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

When we change the valve to pool and spa mode, the valve 1 is moving automatically. Valve 2 is not moving. Valve 3 is not automated but we are experimenting by keeping in different positions. Also we do not use automated chlorinator. We are adding chemicals directly to pool manually. Also I observed the spa is filling when I set the valve in the panel to fill mode but it is draining simultaneously. Also water is not flowing through the skimmer. Hope this helps.

Thanks

BF8F95E6-C104-46AF-A07B-44B025838E24.jpeg2A9D2C1C-773E-4D12-BC31-024E77326B4C.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Valve 2 is your problem. It should be turning.

The actuator on top of valve 2 has a 3 position toggle switch on the bottom or side that is ON1 - OFF - ON2.

Flip the toggle switch from one side to the other and tell us if the valve rotates.

vk,

The problem is the Intake valve (valve 2) is not moving.

Nothing will work right without this valve moving like it should.

Quit screwing with anything else until you get the Intake valve fixed.

Do what Allen asked in his above post and let us know what happens,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: vkhswim
vk,

You have two automated valves. Follow the cables to your automation and see where they plug into a circuit card, most likely will be marked as Intake and Return. Swap the two cables. Then switch between the Pool and Spa modes again.

If the bad valve, is still bad, then the actuator is bad. Just replace it.

If the bad valve works and the good valve no longer works, then the automaton is bad. Just replace it.

Edit.. sorry I had that backwards until now..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Vk,

I 'assume' the valve in your pic is the one that directs water to your pool or your spa.

No matter the cause, you need to replace the large O-Ring and the two small shaft O-Rings.

This leak has absolutely nothing to do with the valve not moving. I assume you can manually turn the valve with little effort? Is that true?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.