pool jets not working well

Vector

Gold Supporter
Moved from here.
our club pool is having a some problems with 1/2 the return jets...they seem weak, i'm told. I'll try to get some pictures of the pool house valves to post. We had a capacitor on the pump replaced recently...I was asked to help out after some poor servicing and overcharging allegations...wasn't good.

Last edited by a moderator:
An equipment list would help

What kind/size of filter is being used?

What is the filter pressure?

Have you tried cleaning the filter?

Did these returns ever have good flow?

Is this a single speed pump or a variable speed operating at lower RPM?

Reactions: Vector
Thanks for the response: 3 Big Hayward Sand filters (3.5 feet high about..), 1 big pump, i'm not sure the HP...i'd guess it is a single speed, they used to have a good flow...I need to backwash the filters, i was a little concerned about having 3 of them going...i guess i isolate each one, backflo, rinse, into the waste valve...its not a great setup from what i can tell...but got to work with it... the town kids want to swim...good news is that i balanced the pool chemistry using kits and insight from TFP...thanks..

The Club pool filter pressure was around 15 psi, didn't seem bad. There is definitely air in the system, i bled some off, but have to get some channel locks for the two remaining filters (one has a lot of air in it)..i think that might be the problem. The pump has had some electrical problems, a new $500 part was installed...i'd have probably just got a new pump if it was me...but wasn't my call. And a capacitor on the pump goes bad every year, it sounds like.. The club pool is around 85K..not a huge pool for commercial.

My own pool has Pentair/Starite paper filters..that's what i'm used to. Hmm.. Thanks for any insight.

I would first backwash all filters. That is usually the cause of poor flow rate.

Second, check all the valve settings for the returns. Someone may have turned those returns down for some reason.

Air in filters will not cause poor flow unless the pump is losing prime. You would know if that is a problem when a lot of air comes out of the returns.

But did these specific returns always have this problem or is it a recent problem?

Reactions: Vector
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.