Pool is green--SLAM or drain first?

Quant

Apr 9, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
I need to drain for TDS, but my pool is a little green. It is not a swamp and I can see the bottom at 10ft. Just soupy, some algae on the walls, and enough leaves that it will fill up the pump screen quickly. Should I drain before bothering with any clean up, or SLAM the pool with the old water then drain? I suppose if I drain without the slam I will still net the leaves out, because that seems easier then cleaning them up off a dry pool and I don't like delaying the re-fill in any temperature.

Thanks in advance!

I need to drain for TDS, but my pool is a little green. It is not a swamp and I can see the bottom at 10ft. Just soupy, some algae on the walls, and enough leaves that it will fill up the pump screen quickly. Should I drain before bothering with any clean up, or SLAM the pool with the old water then drain? I suppose if I drain without the slam I will still net the leaves out, because that seems easier then cleaning them up off a dry pool and I don't like delaying the re-fill in any temperature.

Thanks in advance!
It would be helpful to post a full set of test results so we can evaluate the effects of draining and how you would proceed with a SLAM. Why are you concerned about TDS? It is probably just salt since you use liquid chlorine.

Reactions: Mdragger88
It would be helpful to post a full set of test results so we can evaluate the effects of draining and how you would proceed with a SLAM. Why are you concerned about TDS? It is probably just salt since you use liquid chlorine.
Thanks for the reply. I did not want to get into this, but I had about 5 dead small animals in the pool last year and a few I did not catch quickly because of travel. There is no way my wife will use the pool until I drain it. Though my TDS is high because its Arizona. I know that chlorine will burn anything but I can't blame the sentiment just on my wife either. So proceeding from the conclusion that drain is going to happen, what do you think. SLAM first or drain first?

Thanks,

OK. Nothing rhymes with happy husband. So we drain. :)

Here's the deets on the different methods

For future reference why TDS is a junk metric, think of your fridge. Does the fact there are 37 things in the fridge mean you have enough food for the week ? '37 things' really doesn't tell you squat, now does it ? Now, if you knew what the 37 things were and you had individual measurements of 2 lbs of beef, 6 lbs of chicken, a head of lettuce, etc, etc, etc...... you could determine if you needed to grocery shop.

Once it's full, use your Taylor kit and stay out the pool store. We'll help. :)

Pool Care Basics

SLAM first or drain first?
Drain first. Brush the walls while draining to try to move as much algae out as possible.
Also test your fill water so you know what you will be refilling with.
Also, just be cautious of draining. Have you read

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.