Pool is finally up…now how to winterize!

JEBoregon

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2022
Portland, OR
After a dispute with our landscape contractor who did the ground prep and post setting, our doughboy oval 32,x16’ pool is finally built and filling. It does have the optional deep end. We have yet to cut the skimmer opening and planned to fill to about 4-6” below per the winter instructions on this site. We were debating not installing skimmer until spring in case we decide any last minute liner adjustments are needed (there still seems to be an air gap between liner and pool wall.

Recommendations needed:
Should we add any chemicals/chlorine for the winter and is it possible to do so without the pump?
To cover or not to cover? We don’t yet have a winter cover. We are in Oregon with rainy but fairly mild winters (lows often in the 30s, usually get some freezing nights here and there and one good snow storm)

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    873.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 14
If it were me, I would try to get a submersible pump of some kind that will allow you to do simple two things:
1 - Mix water and chemicals (coupled with manual brushing) around in the pool so you can at a minimum have some stabilizer and free chlorine added.
2 - Allow you to remove water should it get too high from rain.
You can wait on the skimmer and get the system operating properly in the spring. Congrats on the new pool. :swim:

Reactions: JEBoregon
In your climate I would not think you would 'close' a pool. It should be operated and maintained year around.

Reactions: JEBoregon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.