Pool is clear, all levels are in the "ok" range, but chlorine is at zero. :(

meggyv23

Apr 19, 2019
Northborough, MA
Moved into a house with an in-ground pool in the fall. Used it twice, then closed it with the help of a pool company. Not wanting to shell out the money to have them open it, I researched and opened it on my own. I've managed to get all of the levels into the "OK" range, except for the chlorine level. Both the FAC and TAC levels are at 0. I have an automatic chlorinator that I've been keeping full (8 of the 3" tablets) and on "high". I've been shocking weekly, but I'm wondering if I should try the SLAM method? The pool is beautifully clean and clear, but I know if I can't get chlorine to stay in the water that algae growth isn't far off. Any advice is much appreciated. The following are my test results from yesterday:
FAC- 0
TAC- 0
CH- 200
CYA- 40
TA- 110
pH- 7.5

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What is the "OK" range?
Where did you get those test results?

I suggest you invest in one of the recommended test kits: Test Kits Compared
And then follow the SLAM Process process. You also should likely stop using the tablets and whatever "shock" powder you are adding as it is making your CYA build up.

Check out Pool School, starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks so much for the advice! My apologies for not reading the before you post info. I've ordered the Taylor K2006 test kit and it will be here Thursday. I'll stop using the tablets and start the SLAM process. It sounds as though I should wait to SLAM until I can use the better test kit. The kit I have now is the Poolmaster 5 way kit. In hindsight I should've looked into all of this last fall. Oh well! Seems as though I'm in good hands now.

I went to my local Leslie's to have them test the water when I couldn't raise the chlorine levels on my own. I didn't realize how inaccurate their tests could be. Now I know!

Thanks again!

Reactions: Oly
While waiting for your test kit, you can add 1-2 gallons of liquid chlorine to your pool every day to keep some FC in the water.

Also, if you did not order the C version of the kit. Then you should order the FAS-DPD and CYA refills now, as you will quickly run out ... which is why I typically recommend the TF-100 with the XL option as the best value.

The fact that your pool is clear in appearance might mean that you will not have to slam. As mentioned above put in enough liquid chlorine/bleach to keep your pool at about 5 ppm. Use the cya/chlorine and poolmath to determine how much. It will be 1-2 gallons depending on what concentration you use. When you get your test kit you can do the overnight chlorine loss test to determine if you have an algae problem.

Reactions: jblizzle
Sounds great! Thanks jblizzle. I did add those refills on to my order as I'd read that they'll run out quickly. :)

I ran out to the store this morning to grab a couple of gallons of liquid chlorine to have on hand, so I'll definitely check the poolmath to see how much to add. Thank you Hootz!

You all are great. Pool stores are a thing of my past. I'm here to stay. Cheers!

I'll let you know how the testing goes when I get the kit.

Reactions: Oly and jblizzle
So I got the test kit a day early!

A bit disappointed in the results, but they definitely could be worse.

Here they are:
FC- 2ppm
CC- 2ppm
pH- 7.2
TA- 80ppm
CH- 230ppm
CYA- 90ppm

Looks like I'll do a partial water change to get the CYA and CH levels down and keep using liquid chlorine to make sure the CYA levels don't rise.

So I got the test kit a day early!

A bit disappointed in the results, but they definitely could be worse.

Here they are:
FC- 2ppm
CC- 2ppm
pH- 7.2
TA- 80ppm
CH- 230ppm
CYA- 90ppm

Looks like I'll do a partial water change to get the CYA and CH levels down and keep using liquid chlorine to make sure the CYA levels don't rise.
Are you sure about that? By my reckoning, it's pretty close to sunset where you live. If there isn't enough light, you'll read high on the CYA test.

Your CH is laughably low for us west coasters. You can easily go over 300. You could even use Cal-hypo to chlorinate! A pound of 73% Cal-hypo (roughly 3 ppm FC in your pool) will only add 2 CH!!

Very true. I'll test again in the morning. The sun was still up above the tree line when I tested, but I'd rather retest to make sure.

Oh really? Ok! Thanks. Total rookie. Just going by the pool math app. Love it! I'll throw some in tonight after the hockey game. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your FC is very low!! Even at 50 cya the target is 6-8; at 90 it is 10-12. Is your pump variable speed? Chlorinators don't always work at lower pump speeds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.